Modi Calls Trump, Offers Condolences On New York Terror Attack

first_imgPrime Minister Narendra Modi during a call to the White House on Nov. 1 offered his condolences to the families of victims killed in the New York City attack, and strongly condemned terrorism.A readout of the call, issued by the White House, said that Prime Minister Modi and U.S. President Donald Trump have resolved to jointly fight the war against terrorism. Trump accepted Modi’s condolences over the attack that saw eight people dead and dozen others injured.“The two leaders resolved that India and the United States will continue to fight together against the global scourge of terrorism,” according to the White House statement.Prime Minister of India Mr. @narendramodi spoke to President Trump and conveyed his condolences on the New York terrorist attacks. pic.twitter.com/rBbynjn48L— India in New York (@IndiainNewYork) November 2, 2017Modi had condemned the attack that had been linked to the Islamic State group in a tweet on Nov. 1. “Strongly condemn the terror attack in New York City. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with those injured,” he tweeted.Strongly condemn the terror attack in New York City. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with those injured.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) November 1, 2017British Prime Minister Theresa May also spoke to Trump over a call, in which they emphasized the importance of coordination between the two countries. “President Trump and Prime Minister May agreed on the importance of closer counterterrorism coordination between the United States and the United Kingdom,” the White House said.Eight people were killed when 29-year-old Uzbek immigrant Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov drove a pickup truck into bicyclists and pedestrians near the 9/11 memorial. Six of those who were killed were tourists. The statements he made after the arrest linked the attack to the Islamic State group, the authorities said. Saipov came to the United States in 2010.No Indians were hurt in the attack, the Consulate General of India in New York said. The consulate tweeted: “Our sources in the New York Police Department (NYPD) indicate there are no Indian names amongst the casualties. So far preliminary information.” The Indian embassy is in touch with the NYPD for more details, the tweet said.Our sources in NYPD indicate there are no Indian names amongst the casualties. So far preliminary info. We are ascertaining. @SushmaSwaraj— India in New York (@IndiainNewYork) October 31, 2017 Related ItemsIndia US tiesIslamic State US attackLittle IndiaModi TrumpModi White HouseNew York truck attackUS terror attacklast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *