California tops 2020 goal of 33% renewable energy

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享PV Magazine:California has passed its 33% renewable energy target two years before the 2020 deadline. The state’s next renewable milestone is at 44% by 2024, a 33% growth in just over five full years.The California Energy Commission estimates that 34% of the state’s retail electricity sales in 2018 were provided by renewable energy sources eligible for its renewable portfolio standard (RPS). This definition notably excludes the state’s large hydroelectric plants.The report notes that in 2018, solar represented the largest portion of renewable generation serving California’s electricity load, at almost 12% of all electricity. Broadly, in the past five years large-scale solar generation has increased nearly five-fold, while behind-the-meter solar resources increased approximately 310%. As well, the state expects it will soon achieve the goal of 1 million solar roofs, with an estimated 958,000 solar systems installed.A total of 19 GWac of solar power has been installed in the state, including behind the meter capacity. In total, the state had installed 30.8 GW of renewable capacity by December 31, 2018.Of interest, large hydroelectric facilities, generally defined as 30 MW or larger, with some exceptions, are not eligible for the RPS in California, therefore generation from large hydroelectric facilities is not included in this calculation. The report notes that in 2017, large hydroelectric represented nearly 15% of California’s electricity generation.More: The Golden State is officially a third renewable, and it’s not stopping there California tops 2020 goal of 33% renewable energylast_img read more

Attorney: Shelly Sterling wants to keep Clippers

first_imgShelly Sterling, left, wife of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, watches from a courtside seat during the second half of Game 4 of an opening-round NBA basketball playoff series between the Clippers and Golden State Warriors, April 27, 2014: (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)LOS ANGELES (AP) — The estranged wife of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling will fight to retain her 50 percent ownership stake in the team, her lawyer said Thursday, adding an unwanted twist to the NBA’s plan to force new ownership on the franchise.Shelly Sterling’s attorney, Pierce O’Donnell, said his client “will not agree to a forced or involuntary seizure of her interest.”“As her lawyers we will fight vigorously to defend her property rights,” he said.O’Donnell said Mrs. Sterling has no interest in managing the Clippers and wants a new investor group to come in with a professional management team.O’Donnell also told The Associated Press that Shelly Sterling has been separated from her husband for the last year and is considering divorce. There is no record of legal separation documents being filed, though O’Donnell said the couple is living apart.Last week, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver banned Donald Sterling from the NBA for life and urged league owners to force him to sell the team. The move came after a recording surfaced in which Sterling made racist comments, telling friend V. Stiviano that he didn’t want her to bring black people to Clippers games.At a news conference announcing the decision, Silver said no decision had been made regarding whether Mrs. Sterling or any other members of the Sterling family will be allowed to retain an ownership position.O’Donnell said he spoke with NBA officials Thursday morning but declined to elaborate. He said Mrs. Sterling has been working cooperatively with Silver and his staff and supported his announcement seeking a new chief executive officer for the team and the NBA’s decision to place longtime team President Andy Roeser on leave.O’Donnell said Mrs. Sterling “abhors” her husband’s comments and that Silver had “exonerated” Mrs. Sterling in his statement last week. Silver said the decision only involved Donald Sterling and his actions.“We abhor guilt by association in America,” O’Donnell said. “The sins of the husband cannot be imputed to the wife or children.”Shelly and Donald Sterling faced allegations that they discriminated against tenants based on race in Los Angeles according to a lawsuit filed by U.S. Department of Justice in 2006. The Sterlings, who at the time owned and managed about 119 apartment buildings or 5,000 apartments throughout Los Angeles County, agreed to settle the suit for $2.725 million.The settlement also included two suits filed by former tenants at one of the properties, including an African-American family and an interracial married couple with biracial children, who alleged the Sterlings demolished their private yards among other actions because of their race, according to the Justice Department.“The charges against her by former tenants are false, unfounded and were never ever determined to be valid in a court of law,” O’Donnell said. He said the case was settled without any admission of liability. “She doesn’t have a racist bone in her body,” O’Donnell said.Clippers coach Doc Rivers said Thursday at the team’s training facility that “it would be a very hard situation” if Shelly retained her portion of ownership in the team.“I guarantee you every person wouldn’t be on board with that,” Rivers said. “Whether I would or not, I’m not going to say.”O’Donnell said Mrs. Sterling hasn’t been asked to stay away from games and will not. She is an ardent Clippers fan and plans to attend Friday night’s playoff game against Oklahoma City. Rivers said “that’s her choice. She can be a ticket buyer or whatever.”Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, a former NBA All-Star guard who was asked to serve as a spokesman for NBA players after the Sterling scandal broke, did not immediately return a call seeking comment on Mrs. Sterling’s plan to remain an owner.___AP Sports Writer Beth Harris in Los Angeles, and AP writers Anthony McCartney in Los Angeles and Juliet Williams in Sacramento contributed to this report.___Tami Abdollah can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/latamslast_img read more

Watch: How Steve Smith took the art of leaving the ball to a new…

first_imgAdvertisement 4bfk8NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsd5hWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Eurv( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) bx8vdWould you ever consider trying this?😱27ydmCan your students do this? 🌚apy5xRoller skating! Powered by Firework Aussie superstar Steve Smith is one of those players who digs in deep and refuses to throw his wicket away no matter how challenging the circumstances are. Smith has been the stand out player for Australia in the ongoing Ashes tour, having already scored centuries in both innings of the first Test. And in the second test, not only did he just frustrate the England bowlers, Smith also entertained the fans with some sumptuous leaves.Advertisement During the third day of the second Ashes Test in Lord’s, Smith came out to bat earlier than expected when Australia had lost both their openers. The Kangaroos were then in deep waters as the score quickly changed from 60/2 to 71/4. With the former Australian skipper hanging on at one end of the crease, the English bowlers, Chris Woakes, Jofra Archer and Stuart Broad hatched a single plan, take the ball away from the him as much as possible. Adding to their misery, the right hander refused to chase those deliveries and went on leaving them. But he left those balls in such a manner that the commentators in the gantry failed to hold back their laughter. His antics were even shared on the official Facebook page of England cricket after stumps. The short clip contains Smith with his hilarious leaves along with a great overlay of sound work.Advertisement Watch the amusing video here:Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more