Players happy with Red Stripe/Nike development programme

first_imgPlayers involved in the Red Stripe/Nike development programme are very happy with the initiative as they look forward to move on to a bigger stage in their football career. The beer giants and the American sports apparel company teamed up to stepped up the players’ development programme, which was started two years ago. Rohan Richards, who moved from Jamalco to Humble Lion during last month’s transfer window in the RSPL welcomed the joint venture. “It is very interesting. The programme is helping us as players to build confidence, accuracy, speed, ability, quick movements and other things to develop talent,” Richards said about the two-day programme that began Thursday at Barbican Complex. “The programme would definitely help me in a quest to break into the overseas market,” the 23-year-old midfielder noted. Another player, Jamoy Sibblies of Maverley-Hughenden described the programme as a learning curve. “This is a learning session. I am happy for the opportunity to be involved, so when I am back at my club in training the aim is to work on the things to improve my game,” Sibblies said. Michael Bookbinder, Nike Soccer Development manager outlined the approach of the programme. “Its been very good; the players are enthusiastic about the new technique and new training system courtesy of Nike. The elite training has four major stages. We have introduced Ronaldo which deals with speed; Rooney power, precision and scoring; Iniesta -touch and control; and Pique long passing,” Bookbinder explained. “They liked it as it gives different techniques. This is a pro-camp. We are very happy to be invited. We see potential as the aim is to give them opportunity to get to the next level as professionals overseas,” he added. Red Stripe’s assistant brand manager Rashima Kelly says her company is totally behind the development of young players. “It is a holistic programme. We want to get to the point where it’s a natural transition for players to move from the Red Stripe Premier League to the national team,” Kelly informed.last_img read more

Snowshoer returning home with two new medals

first_imgJakubowski’s bronze medal finish came today in the 1600 metre singles race, with a time of 12 minutes and 14.70 seconds. She also finished fifth in the 800 metre singles race, completing the course with a time of 5 minutes, 31.51 seconds.First place in the 1600 metre race went to fellow Team Canada member Adam Wakeman, who finished first at 10 minutes and 31.60 seconds.The Energetic City’s snowshoe racer, along with three fellow teammates also earned the highest honour in the group 4X400 snowshoe race yesterday, finishing first with a time of 8 minutes and 59.06 seconds.- Advertisement -Jakubowski earned the first place finish with fellow Team Canada racers Jessica Larivee, Ashlee McLeod and Regan Millsap.Before leaving, Jakubowski said it would be a dream to bring home any medal from the competition.last_img read more

IRELAND GIVEN ‘JUNK’ STATUS ON MARKETS – DOHERTY SLAMS GOVERNMENT

first_imgThe Government is furious tonight after the credit agency Moody’s downgraded Ireland’s debt rating to the junk status of Ba1.Moody’s said it reduced the rating by one notch because there was a ‘growing likelihood’ that Ireland will require a second bailout in two years’ time.The Department of Finance said the move was a ‘disappointing development’ saying Ireland had done all it can can ‘to put our house in order’. In simple terms, it means the rating agency believes Ireland will need more cash despite the massive austerity measures.Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Pearse Doherty has accused the Government of sleepwalking Ireland into a second bailout because of its failure to deal with the banks and the debt crisis.Deputy Doherty said: “Today’s downgrade by Moody’s of Ireland’s credit rating to junk status is another wake up call to the government and our European partners.“The key driver in Moody’s decision is the growing possibility that Ireland will require a second bailout and sovereign bondholders will have to absorb losses. “The government’s failure to acknowledge that Ireland’s debt levels are unsustainable and its inaction in reducing those levels have placed us in this position.“Sinn Féin has consistently said that Ireland will have to shed some of its debt burden if we are to regain entry into the bond markets.“However rather than impose losses on sovereign bondholders as part of a second bailout we have argued that the losses must be imposed now and only on the private banking debt.”The Donegal South West TD said Fine Gael & Labour were sleepwalking the country into a second bailout.He added: “Far more significant than the actual downgrade is the fact that Moody’s has stated that a second bailout is likely and Ireland is likely to default post 2013. “The government’s inaction is leading us to a second bailout, ensuring a default on sovereign debt, prolonging the loss or our financial sovereignty and imposing a decade of severe austerity.“While the government can rightly blame Fianna Fáil for the first bailout the second one will clearly be their responsibility.  This can all be avoided if the correct decisions are taken now.”IRELAND GIVEN ‘JUNK’ STATUS ON MARKETS – DOHERTY SLAMS GOVERNMENT was last modified: July 13th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:country feckedIreland EU/IMF debtsMoodys rating agencylast_img read more

Indian or Bangladeshi?

first_img50,000 Indian residents of enclaves near Cooch Behar on the India-Bangladesh border will be given the choice of citizenship under a proposed border agreement between the two countries.Fifty-one Bangladeshi enclaves in India and 111 Indian enclaves in Bangladesh are to be exchanged  under the agreement. Union home minister P. Chidambaram said 51,590 people live in the enclaves, of whom 37,369 are Indians. Chidambaram told the Rajya Sabha that people living in an enclave “shall be given the right of staying on where they are as nationals of the state” to which the area will be transferred. “That option is given to the people.”Residents of an Indian enclave to be transferred to Bangladesh can opt to take Bangladeshi citizenship or move to India where it would be the Indian  government’s responsibility to provide them land for resettlement. Related Itemslast_img read more