Dominion Post 26 January 2012Average Kiwi families could be subject to greater state scrutiny if proposed rules around mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse are introduced. A Families Commission report, released today, says agencies’ inadequate systems are putting vulnerable children at risk. It calls for better information-sharing between government departments and enhanced reporting by health professionals to safeguard at-risk children. But it also suggests controversial new measures that could expose innocent mums and dads to greater government intervention if child abuse is suspected. More than 22,000 children suffered emotional, physical and sexual abuse, or neglect, in the last financial year. Every year an average of 10 children die at the hands of their family or carers.THE NUMBERS22,087 – Findings of emotional, physical and sexual abuse and neglect by CYF in the past financial year.5020 – Children and young people in the custody of the department’s chief executive for care and protection at June 30, 2011.4238 – Children in out-of-home care in 2010.45 percent – The proportion of children in care with siblings who had previously been removed from their parents.http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/6314580/Plan-to-keep-Kiwi-kids-safe
Manchester City May Activate Buy-Back Clause On Kelechi Iheanacho- Brendan Rogers https://t.co/Ea98ivGL8r via @Main Street Journal— Sanda Lily (@mz_oddy) January 29, 2020 Leicester City manager, Brendan Rodgers, has expressed his feeling of uncertainty over the Super Eagles attacker, Kelechi Iheanacho, as a move to Manchester City seems likely should they decide to activate his buy-back clause. Kelechi Iheanacho Kelechi Iheanacho who has since enjoyed a good form under Rogers and has impressed for the foxes in his last few appearances. Rogers has had to answer questions about Iheanacho’s contract during a press briefing where the Irishman gave an update on the club’s transfer direction. Loading… Already in his third season, Iheanacho now has two years left in his five-year contract, which also includes a buy-back clause, hence, the prospect of a return to the Etihad looms if the Citizens decide to activate the clause. “I’m not totally sure, but these things usually last the course of the first deal he signs. Read Also:Iheanacho’s goal not enough as Trezeguet sends Villa into EFL Cup final “So, Iheanacho joined on a five-year contract in 2017, so leading to 2022. Even if he negotiates an extended deal in that time, I’d expect the buy-back clause to still be applicable until 2022. – Rogers told Leicestermercury.co.uk. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseBear Cubs ‘Dancing’ In Forest Delight The Internet20 Facts That’ll Change Your Perception Of “The Big Bang Theory”10 Awesome TV Series That Got Cancelled Way Too SoonA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By Odeith7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterA Lot More People Should See Hanna’s Fantastic Bread Masterpieces7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your MindWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks
Benteke made an £8million move from Genk to Villa last summer and has so far scored 15 goals, forming an effective partnership with 10-goal Andreas Weimann. The Belgian has inevitably been the subject of speculation linking him with potential moves away from Villa this summer. Lambert said: “Will Benteke be coveted by a lot of clubs? It’s a hard one to say because he has only been here for a few months, less than a year. “I don’t know whether people will say ‘Let’s see how he does next year’, or do they go, ‘We’ll take a chance’. “I don’t think you can stop clubs from trying to make a bid for him. “I can’t stop that, but the fact is that the big lad has three years left (of his contract), he’s only 22, and he has been playing well. “They might take a punt. He has a few years left here. It’s not something I worry about. I know he has been playing well.” Lambert admits the winner of the prestigious award is likely to be one from Robin van Persie, Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez after their feats with Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool. But the Villa manager named Benteke when asked for his list of potential candidates for the final list from which the winner will be decided, saying: “Has Benteke an outside chance? I don’t know. He’s had a great season, Christian, but I also think the lad at Swansea (Michu) has had a great season. I think people will look at the big three, Van Persie, Bale and Suarez, to maybe get it.” Paul Lambert has pinpointed Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke as a candidate for the PFA Player of The Year award shortlist. Press Association
Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he has a soft spot for Paolo Di Canio. “As I wrote the other week, he wears his heart on his sleeve and I like his football philosophy, wanting to play the ball on the ground rather than in the air. “I have this picture in my mind of him being in the technical area pointing to the sky and then the ground in an effort to get his players to keep the ball down. “He has a tough challenge on his hands with his fight to keep Sunderland in the Premier League.” Di Canio faces a baptism of fire at Chelsea on Sunday afternoon, when defeat would send Sunderland hurtling into the relegation zone should Wigan beat QPR. Press Association Di Canio’s appointment as Sunderland manager has been overshadowed by the furore over his links to fascism, which after three days of hot debate, finally triggered a statement from him in which he denied supporting the ideology. Ferguson has not got involved in that particular argument. However, speaking to United Review ahead of Manchester United’s derby encounter with City on Monday, Ferguson said he does like Di Canio’s management philosophy. “I must confess to a liking for the fellow and his approach to the game,” said Ferguson.
Although Manor Solomon equalised for Shakhtar, Atalanta’s win over Dinamo Zagreb ensured City can’t be knocked off top spot.“We have qualified. We played so good in second half. The group stage is always tricky but the target was to qualify and we have done it,” Guardiola said.“Now we have one competition already done – we play the last game qualified as first in the group – so we can focus on the Premier League until we arrive in the cups.”With the group clinched, Guardiola has the bonus of being able to rest players for the trip to Zagreb on December 11.That is especially important as the Zagreb fixture comes between vital Premier League matches against Manchester United and Arsenal.While City won’t give up their Premier League title without a fight, Liverpool are in such a strong position that Europe could provide Guardiola’s best hope of a major prize this term.Guardiola won the Champions League twice as Barcelona boss but the last of those triumphs came in 2011. He hasn’t gone past the quarter-finals with City.Returning to the knockout stages was a first step toward ending that frustrating streak, but Guardiola will know injury-hit City have plenty of room for improvement.“Shakhtar have quality players and are well organised and have an extraordinary goalkeeper so we knew it would be difficult,” Guardiola added.“We had a lot of opportunities but at the end, 1-1 was enough to qualify. We did it seven years in a row.“But this competition in February will be completely different, tougher. We’ll see in which conditions we arrive there. This competition is about the details.”City made a sloppy start and were almost caught out when a long punt into their half prompted Ederson to rush off his line.When the City keeper completely missed his attempt to clear, Shakhtar’s Mateus Tete charged into the penalty area, only for Fernandinho to block the shot with a superbly timed last-ditch slide.City’s limp opening was at least partially due to the absence of the club’s record goalscorer Sergio Aguero, sidelined for several weeks after injuring a thigh in Saturday’s win over Chelsea.Gabriel Jesus started in place of Aguero, but the Brazilian, who has scored five goals in eight starts this season, was largely anonymous.– Sluggish City –Ponderous for much of the half, City gradually found some rhythm and Nicolas Otamendi’s header from Angelino’s cross forced an agile save from Andriy Pyatov.City have opened talks with Raheem Sterling about a new long-term contract that would reportedly make the 24-year-old one of the highest-paid players in the Premier League.Sterling’s place among the world’s elite is without question, but this wasn’t the England winger’s best night.City finally conjured a move befitting their ability, cutting through the Shakhtar defence to take the lead in the 56th minute.Kevin De Bruyne was the catalyst with a swift surge and pass into Jesus in the Shakhtar area.Manor Solomon levelled for Shakhtar Donetsk © AFP / Paul ELLISJesus did well to control and poke the ball across to Gundogan. The German midfielder took a touch before slotting into the bottom corner from 10 yards.Even that wasn’t enough to paper over the cracks for sluggish City and Shakhtar equalised in the 69th minute.Tete slipped his pass to the overlapping Dodo and his cut-back from the touchline drew a lethargic response from the City defence, allowing substitute Solomon to fire home from close-range only four minutes after coming on.David Silva almost restored City’s lead seconds later, but the substitute’s shot was cleared off the line by Serhiy Kryvtsov.0Shares0000(Visited 16 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Manchester City’s Ilkay Gundogan struck in the draw against Shakhtar Donetsk © AFP / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Nov 27 – Pep Guardiola insisted it was mission accomplished as Manchester City booked their place in the Champions League last 16 for a seventh successive season despite a lacklustre 1-1 draw against Shakhtar Donetsk on Tuesday.Guardiola’s side were well below their best at the Etihad Stadium, but Ilkay Gundogan’s second half strike put them on course to wrap up first place in Group C with one game to spare.
November’s vote on Clark County Commissioner David Madore’s vision for a third bridge across the Columbia River is facing a last-minute hurdle.With only a few hours to go, commissioners are working to appoint members of two committees who will write pro and con statements for a nonbinding vote on the bridge, which will appear in the general election voters’ pamphlet. The deadline for naming committee members is 5 p.m. today.The advisory vote — approved by commissioners July 29 on a 2-1 vote — is intended to gauge whether there’s support for pursuing a bistate crossing from Southeast 192nd Avenue in Vancouver to Airport Way in Portland. Madore, a major opponent of the failed Columbia River Crossing, has been pushing the project as a congestion-relieving option worth investigating. Others have been skeptical of the idea, questioning everything from the bridge’s $860 million price tag, to its five-year development timeline and its ability to actually relieve congestion.He said Wednesday at a county board time meeting that he’d take the lead in forming the pro advisory vote committee but would abstain from naming people to the con committee.