Players happy with Red Stripe/Nike development programme

first_imgPlayers involved in the Red Stripe/Nike development programme are very happy with the initiative as they look forward to move on to a bigger stage in their football career. The beer giants and the American sports apparel company teamed up to stepped up the players’ development programme, which was started two years ago. Rohan Richards, who moved from Jamalco to Humble Lion during last month’s transfer window in the RSPL welcomed the joint venture. “It is very interesting. The programme is helping us as players to build confidence, accuracy, speed, ability, quick movements and other things to develop talent,” Richards said about the two-day programme that began Thursday at Barbican Complex. “The programme would definitely help me in a quest to break into the overseas market,” the 23-year-old midfielder noted. Another player, Jamoy Sibblies of Maverley-Hughenden described the programme as a learning curve. “This is a learning session. I am happy for the opportunity to be involved, so when I am back at my club in training the aim is to work on the things to improve my game,” Sibblies said. Michael Bookbinder, Nike Soccer Development manager outlined the approach of the programme. “Its been very good; the players are enthusiastic about the new technique and new training system courtesy of Nike. The elite training has four major stages. We have introduced Ronaldo which deals with speed; Rooney power, precision and scoring; Iniesta -touch and control; and Pique long passing,” Bookbinder explained. “They liked it as it gives different techniques. This is a pro-camp. We are very happy to be invited. We see potential as the aim is to give them opportunity to get to the next level as professionals overseas,” he added. Red Stripe’s assistant brand manager Rashima Kelly says her company is totally behind the development of young players. “It is a holistic programme. We want to get to the point where it’s a natural transition for players to move from the Red Stripe Premier League to the national team,” Kelly informed.last_img read more

Charges shock camp neighbors

first_imgOCEANSIDE – The Marine unit known as the “Thundering Third” earned a reputation for heroism on battlefields that include Guadalcanal and Okinawa during World War II, Vietnam and Iraq. The unit’s honorable background now is sullied as military investigators probe the possibility that some members murdered two dozen Iraqi civilians. People who live and work in Oceanside, a city bordering the unit’s home at the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base, expressed dismay Friday at the allegations. “I don’t want people to get the interpretation that is what Marines are like. There’s a lot of variables in each situation. But this is a severe black eye for the Marine Corps,” said Juan Duff, a retired Marine sergeant major. A criminal investigation into the Nov. 26 civilian deaths in the Iraqi town of Haditha points toward a conclusion that Marines committed unprovoked murders, a senior defense official said Friday. A separate investigation is under way to determine whether Marines lied to cover up the killings. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2The 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment returned to Camp Pendleton this spring following their third Iraq deployment since 2003. The unit’s last deployment lasted from September 2005 until March, officials said. During their second deployment in 2004, the Thundering Third took part in the battle to clear Iraqi militants from the stronghold of Fallujah. Chris Wright, a colonel in the Marine Reserves, noted that Marines have been under tremendous stress from repeated deployments and often confusing combat situations. “Some of those guys have been over there several times already. It’s a very different war from ’03. It’s an insurgency; it’s very frustrating,” said Wright, the executive director of the 1st Marine Division Association in Oceanside, which provides support to active and retired Marines. In April, three officers with the battalion were relieved of command for a “lack of confidence in their leadership abilities” due to a series of incidents over their entire six-month deployment in Iraq, said Lt. Col. Sean Gibson, a Marine spokesman. Relieved of command last month were Lt. Col. Jeffrey R. Chessani, the battalion’s commanding officer; Capt. James S. Kimber, commanding officer of the Battalion’s India Company; and Capt. Lucas M. McConnell, commanding officer of the Battalion’s Kilo Company. They have not been charged with any wrongdoing. Several members of a second Pendleton battalion – the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, known as the Darkhorse – were sent back from Iraq as the military probes the alleged killing of an Iraqi civilian on April 26 in Hamandiyah, west of Baghdad. Some are being held in pre-trial confinement, while others were restricted to the base, said Pendleton spokesman Lt. Lawton King. No charges have been filed. Oceanside resident Rochelle Hoyt said questioned whether the Marines had lowered their recruitment standards. “I support our country but I think it’s just a select few that do that,” Hoyt said. “They should investigate people before they join the Marines so you don’t just have people that join up and kill unarmed bystanders.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more