LMTU Proposes New Policy to Govern “Pem Pem” Riders

first_imgFeeling the pain of government’s ban on commercial motorcycling in Ganta, Nimba County, the Liberia Motorcycle Transport Union (LMTU) has proposed a new policy to govern commercial motorcycling across the country. The new policy would prohibit persons under 18 years of age from operating commercial motorcycles; that they should now run from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. to avoid any reoccurrence of motorcyclists being killed under the cover of darkness, as it was allegedly reported in the case in Ganta.Among other measures, each bike must carry a picture of the particular rider assigned to it, as well as names of bike owners; that all motorbikes be painted with a particular color, according to their location; that no unregistered third party be allowed to operate any commercial motorbike.LMTU also called for riders to abide by the rule of law by going through proper periodic training in order to keep them informed of the traffic regulations.While calling on the government to endorse the new policy, they also called for speedy investigation into the death of their member whose gruesome death sparked the recent demonstration in Ganta.The ban on the movement of commercial motorcycling in Ganta has hampered every activity of the youth, most of who depend on it to sustain themselves.The September 30 riot, which led to the ban on commercial motorcycling activities in Ganta by the government, was due to the assaults on a police station, the DEA office and the properties of business man Prince Howard. Mr. Howard, who was accused by the angry crowd for his alleged complicity into the gruesome murder of the cyclist, suffered an arson attack on his Alvino Hotel in Ganta City. An LMTU official told the Daily Observer that the proposed policy would be presented to the Liberia National Police, the Ministry of Transport and other relevant authorities.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Van Dijk left out of Southampton France camp squad

first_img0Shares0000Virgil Van Dijk has been left out of the Southampton training squad to France. PHOTO/FILE.SOUTHAMPTON, United Kingdom, Jul 24- Virgil van Dijk has not been included in Southampton’s squad for a training camp in France as uncertainty over his future continues.The 26-year-old has been training on his own after telling Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino that he wants to leave St Mary’s. Liverpool tried to sign Van Dijk earlier this summer but dropped their interest after Saints reported them to the Premier League over an alleged illegal approach.Despite ongoing speculation, Pellegrino maintained last week that Van Dijk is not for sale.“He is not involved with the team because psychologically he is not 100 per cent,” Pellegrino told BBC Radio Solent.“I need to work with players who are 100 per cent to defend Southampton. It’s easy for me. I don’t want to say too much but we need the player.“I want to help the squad, I want to help Virgil, but we need a player involved in every training session, not just with the body but with the mind on the pitch with the rest of the players.”Netherlands international Van Dijk, who has made 55 Premier League appearances for Southampton, has five years remaining on his contract after signing a fresh deal last summer.The Saints will travel to Evian-les-Bains in France for a week of pre-season training before facing St Etienne in a friendly on Saturday.-By Sky Sports-0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more