Modi Calls Trump, Offers Condolences On New York Terror Attack

first_imgPrime Minister Narendra Modi during a call to the White House on Nov. 1 offered his condolences to the families of victims killed in the New York City attack, and strongly condemned terrorism.A readout of the call, issued by the White House, said that Prime Minister Modi and U.S. President Donald Trump have resolved to jointly fight the war against terrorism. Trump accepted Modi’s condolences over the attack that saw eight people dead and dozen others injured.“The two leaders resolved that India and the United States will continue to fight together against the global scourge of terrorism,” according to the White House statement.Prime Minister of India Mr. @narendramodi spoke to President Trump and conveyed his condolences on the New York terrorist attacks. pic.twitter.com/rBbynjn48L— India in New York (@IndiainNewYork) November 2, 2017Modi had condemned the attack that had been linked to the Islamic State group in a tweet on Nov. 1. “Strongly condemn the terror attack in New York City. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with those injured,” he tweeted.Strongly condemn the terror attack in New York City. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased & prayers with those injured.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) November 1, 2017British Prime Minister Theresa May also spoke to Trump over a call, in which they emphasized the importance of coordination between the two countries. “President Trump and Prime Minister May agreed on the importance of closer counterterrorism coordination between the United States and the United Kingdom,” the White House said.Eight people were killed when 29-year-old Uzbek immigrant Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov drove a pickup truck into bicyclists and pedestrians near the 9/11 memorial. Six of those who were killed were tourists. The statements he made after the arrest linked the attack to the Islamic State group, the authorities said. Saipov came to the United States in 2010.No Indians were hurt in the attack, the Consulate General of India in New York said. The consulate tweeted: “Our sources in the New York Police Department (NYPD) indicate there are no Indian names amongst the casualties. So far preliminary information.” The Indian embassy is in touch with the NYPD for more details, the tweet said.Our sources in NYPD indicate there are no Indian names amongst the casualties. So far preliminary info. We are ascertaining. @SushmaSwaraj— India in New York (@IndiainNewYork) October 31, 2017 Related ItemsIndia US tiesIslamic State US attackLittle IndiaModi TrumpModi White HouseNew York truck attackUS terror attacklast_img read more

Protests over planned dam turn violent in Panama

first_imgPANAMA CITY – Police clashed with farmers and indigenous residents in western Panama over the weekend over a planned dam that locals fear will wipe out their way of life.Demonstrators in the town of Vigui threw up barricades with three trunks and branches, some on the Inter-American Highway, the main road to neighboring Costa Rica.Protesters say the planned Barro Blanco hydroelectric dam, near the borders of Veraguas and Chiriquí provinces, will displace at least 36,000 people. Many local indigenous people’s traditional way of life is based on fishing from the river and transport on the waterway.Police in riot gear seeking to reopen the highway cracked down on dozens of demonstrators who fought back with rocks and other blunt objects.“People were protesting peacefully for the closing of the [planned] Barro Blanco hydroelectric power plant and police attacked them,” local Ngobe Bugle indigenous leader Silvia Carrera said.Carrera said she expected there would be injuries but could not confirm whether protesters were treated in hospital.The Panamanian government wants to use the country’s vast and largely untapped water resources to make energy more affordable, selling land as needed to build hydroelectric power plants.The government argues that oil-fueled plants have made energy costs too high in the country of 3.4 million.Last year, indigenous people and the government held U.N.-mediated talks after violent clashes over traditional indigenous lands being used by mining industries and for hydroelectric plants left at least two people dead. Facebook Comments No related posts.last_img read more