Impossible to unlock new iPhones Apple tells US court

first_imgApple Inc (AAPL.O) told a U.S. judge that accessing data stored on a locked iPhone would be “impossible” with devices using its latest operating system, but the company has the “technical ability” to help law enforcement unlock older phones.Apple’s position was laid out in a brief filed late Monday, after a federal magistrate judge in Brooklyn, New York, sought its input as he weighed a U.S. Justice Department request to force the company to help authorities access a seized iPhone during an investigation.In court papers, Apple said that for the 90 percent of its devices running iOS 8 or higher, granting the Justice Department’s request “would be impossible to perform” after it strengthened encryption methods.Those devices include a feature that prevents anyone without the device’s passcode from accessing its data, including Apple itself.The feature was adopted in 2014 amid heightened privacy concerns following leaks by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden about NSA surveillance programs.Apple told U.S. Magistrate Judge James Orenstein it could access the 10 percent of its devices that continue to use older systems, including the one at issue in the case. But it urged the judge to not require it to comply with the Justice Department’s request.”Forcing Apple to extract data in this case, absent clear legal authority to do so, could threaten the trust between Apple and its customers and substantially tarnish the Apple brand,” Apple’s lawyers wrote.A spokeswoman for Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Robert Capers, whose office is handling the case, declined comment.Earlier this month, Orenstein expressed skepticism about whether he could require Apple to disable security on the iPhone, citing Congress’ failure to act on the issue of encryption despite the urging of the Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation.Orenstein deferred ruling until Apple had a chance to say if it was “technically feasible and, if so, whether compliance with the proposed order would be unduly burdensome.”Apple in its brief said it limited its views to those questions rather than the broader legal issue at hand, which it called “important.” In an order Tuesday, Orenstein invited Apple to address that issue. A hearing is scheduled for Thursday.The case is In re Order requiring Apple, Inc to assist in the execution of a search warrant issued by the court, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, No. 15-mc-01902.last_img read more

Oxa Medical Adurcup Mobisy Tech raise funds to drive growth

first_imgUS dollar notes are seen in this November 7, 2016 picture.Reuters fileThree start-ups — Oxa Medical, AdUrCup and Mobisy Tech — raised funds for their expansion plans. in the past couple of days. While the amount was not known for Oxa Medical, Adurcup raised $325,000 in pre-Series A funding and Mobisy Tech received $382,000.Mobisy Tech, a Bengaluru-based start-up, which owns marketplace app Distiman and supply chain automation platform Bizom, said that the money raised from existing investor Ojas Ventures and two undisclosed angel investors will be used to drive Distiman’s geographical expansion and ramp up operations of Bizom, according to a report in VCCircle.”Other functions, such as brand sales and engineering, are shared. In fact, Bizom is Distiman’s back-end technology, so the engineering roadmap for the products is essentially the same. Hence, the same resourcing and costs,” the portal quoted Arun Narayanan, co-founder, Mobisy Technologies, as saying.Oxa Medical, a Hyderabad-based online platform for personalised medical tourism package, raised an undisclosed amount in seed funding from Idein Networks.”We are creating a one-stop shop for people travelling to India for healthcare or medical treatment purposes. We not only arrange for travel, accommodation and treatment but also provide pre-travel medical consultation and post-treatment care services,” Shashank Shrivastava, founder, Oxa Medical, told DealStreetAsia. Adurcup, the Kanpur-based online retail store for disposable consumables used in restaurants, did not disclose the investors who funded the latest round. The start-up, formed in July 2015, had raised $100,000 in seed funding from Green House Ventures.Kumar Kushang, Nitin Prakash and Harshit Mittal had co-founded the start-up that now seeks to grow its business.”The current fund raise will help us scale, bring more process innovations and improve our product, with profitability being the first milestone,” Kushang told e27.last_img read more

These new posters offer a glimpse of Shraddha Kapoors actionpacked avatar in

first_imgShraddha Kapoor and Prabhas in SaahoBollywood actress Shraddha Kapoor, who has done stunts in Tiger Shroff’s Baaghi, is gearing up to return in yet another action-packed avatar in Prabhas’ Saaho and the new posters offer a glimpse of her look.Shraddha Kapoor, who made her acting debut with Teen Patti in 2010, has starred in over 15 movies in the last 10 years. She has essayed a variety of roles in these movies and proved herself to be a versatile actress. She currently has three big-ticket projects like Saaho, Chhichhore and Street Dancer in her kitty.With Saaho inching closer to its release date, the makers have been teasing the viewers with a new poster every day. After tweeting a romantic poster, they have now shared a few action posters. “Breathtaking action like you’ve never seen before! Witness India’s biggest action thriller this August. #Saaho releasing worldwide on 30.08.2019,” UV Creations tweeted. Shraddha Kapoor’s action packed avatar in SaahoTwitterIn the latest posters, Shraddha Kapoor looks absolutely wondrous as she personifies the term ‘iron-willed’. Holding a gun in her hand which is firmly directed at the goons, she stuns in a simple black formal shirt, pants and boots. In another poster, she is seen shooting along with Prabhas at the baddies. The poster also has glass flying all over her in a deep blue-green background.This poster shows that Saaho is synonymous with high-end action and nerve-wracking plot. Shraddha, who is playing a cop in the film, looks as diverse as she is with her roles and seems to be nailing it. The poster already has fans going berserk over her new badass avatar.Saaho is a big-budget action film and sure is a movie to look out for! While Prabhas looks every bit of a fierce heartthrob, Shraddha is killing it with her oomph factor.last_img read more

Trump to block refugees restrict Muslim visitors

first_imgMaya Casillas, 7, joins migrant rights group during a vigil to protest against US President Donald Trump’s new crackdown on “sanctuary cities”, outside the City Hall in Los Angeles. Photo: AFPPresident Donald Trump is on Thursday poised to suspend the US refugee program for four months and to halt visas for travellers from seven Muslim countries, according to US media.A draft executive order published in the Washington Post said refugees from war-torn Syria will be indefinitely banned, while the broader US refugee admissions program will be suspended for 120 days as officials draw up a list of low risk countries.Meanwhile, all visa applications from countries deemed a terrorist threat—Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen—will be halted for 30 days.Alongside this, the Pentagon will be given 90 days to draw up a plan to set up “safe zones” in or near Syria where refugees from its civil war can shelter.It is unclear whether the published draft is the final version, or when Trump will sign it, but it would make good on his campaign promises.Trump told ABC News late Wednesday that his plan to limit the entry of people from Muslim countries was necessary because the world is “a total mess.”“No it’s not the Muslim ban, but it’s countries that have tremendous terror,” Trump said. “And it’s countries that people are going to come in and cause us tremendous problems.”Trump refused to say which countries were on the list, but he did say he believed that Europe “made a tremendous mistake by allowing these millions of people to go into Germany and various other countries,” describing it as “a disaster.”Trump was asked if he worried that the limits would anger Muslims around the world.“Anger? There’s plenty of anger right now. How can you have more?” he said.“The world is a mess. The world is as angry as it gets. What, you think this is going to cause a little more anger? The world is an angry place. … We went into Iraq. We shouldn’t have gone into Iraq. We shouldn’t have gotten out the way we got out. The world is a total mess.”Playing into IS hands?Trump’s hardline attitude towards what he calls “radical Islamic terrorism” was one of the most controversial themes of his election campaign.Rights groups have accused him of stigmatizing a global faith, and some experts warn that offending America’s Muslim allies will hurt the fight against extremism.“Turning our back on vulnerable refugees doesn’t protect the United States,” said Michael Olsen, former director of the US National Counterterrorism Center.“In fact, it plays into ISIS’s false narrative that we are at war with all Muslims instead of terrorist organizations,” he told watchdog Human Rights First.Trump also vowed to “eradicate ISIS from the face of the earth”, which proved popular with US voters.Ryan Crocker, former US ambassador to Afghanistan and Iraq, told the group that the executive order would threaten refugees who risked their lives to help US troops.“Banning the admission of Syrian refugees contradicts American values, undermines American leadership and threatens American security by making the ISIS case that we are at war with Islam,” he argued.No ‘major negative’ in Trump refugee planOther former officials, however, were not worried by the pending order—suggesting that while it has little use as a security measure, anger would blow over.James Jeffrey, who was deputy national security adviser under former president George W. Bush, said: “I don’t think there’ll be much of a change in anything.”Jeffrey argued that even under former president Barack Obama, the United States had allowed in very few Syrian refugees—only 18,000 since the war began in 2011.Meanwhile, allies in the Sunni Muslim world are far more concerned by the immediate threats posed by Iran and the Islamic State group than by US visa law.“So I don’t see a major negative in foreign affairs from this,” said Jeffrey, now a fellow of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.“We had a bad reputation no matter what we did even when we were being at our very very tippy-toe best with Barack Obama. It doesn’t matter,” he told AFP.“In populations there is a great deal of skepticism about the United States. It’s hard-wired, regardless of the president, no matter what we do.”The possible draft signing on Thursday would be the latest in a daily series of executive orders rolled out by Trump’s administration since he took office on Friday—touching on national security, immigration, and health care.Also Thursday, Trump is to speak before Republican lawmakers at their winter retreat in Philadelphia—an opportunity for him to reassure some of his party faithful about the actions of his provocative first week at the White House.last_img read more

Texas School Official Removed Over Books White Supremacist Symbol

first_img Share Fibonacci Blue, WikimediaAt a “March 4 Trump” event, a man holds up a sign reading “Deplorables and Alt-Right Unite,” that features an image of Pepe the Frog. The cartoon character has become a symbol for white supremacist groups.A Texas school district has removed an assistant principal from his post after he authored a children’s book whose central character is also a white nationalist symbol.The Denton school district, north of Dallas-Fort Worth, said in a statement Monday that the publicity generated by Eric Hauser’s work has become a “distraction.” He’s being reassigned to an undetermined post.This summer Hauser self-published “The Adventures of Pepe and Pede,” about a frog and centipede seeking “truth and honesty” against “deceitful forces.”In the district’s statement, Hauser apologized for the negative attention brought to colleagues.Pepe the Frog appeared more than a decade ago in an online cartoon and the Anti-Defamation League says the character has been appropriated by white supremacists and other racists in online memes.last_img read more

Fermilab documenting construction of NOvA—next generation neutrino experiment w video

first_imgThe NOvA experiment uses two detectors: a 222 metric-ton near detector at Fermilab and a much larger 15 metric-kiloton far detector (pictured here) in Minnesota just south of the U.S.-Canada border. Scientists will detect a small fraction of the neutrinos in a near-detector at Fermilab and in a larger far-detector in Minnesota looking for signals that the neutrinos are changing from one type to another on their trip. Citation: Fermilab documenting construction of NOvA—next generation neutrino experiment (w/ video) (2014, February 3) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2014-02-fermilab-documenting-novanext-neutrino-video.html More information: www-nova.fnal.gov/ Fermilab sends first neutrino beam to NOvA experiment Explore further Neutrinos are subatomic particles, electrically neutral and still rather mysterious. Scientists believe that studying them may help lead to fully understanding what everything in the universe is ultimately made of—may physicists believe that unlike other particles, neutrinos don’t get their mass from the famous Higgs boson . Another unique thing about neutrinos is that they don’t interact much with other regular matter, instead they tend to pass right through it—billions of them are passing through each of us every second.To better understand neutrinos, researchers would like to know what happens to them as they travel, that’s what’s behind NOvA—a project that has an international team of physicists, engineers, technicians and even students building a massive two part experiment. The first part is essentially a neutrino gun—located in Batavia, Illinois—it will create neutrinos and fire them at the second site located in Ash River, Minnesota—it’s over 500 miles away which means the neutrino beam will have to travel through portions of the Earth to get there. Upon arrival, the neutrinos will be captured by a very large (14,000 ton) piece of plastic that has been fashioned into liquid filled chambers, each with neutrino detecting gear.By all measures it’s a massive project, and Fermilab clearly wants the public to know where its tax dollars are being spent. They’ve hired video professionals to not only document the construction of the two facilities, but to interview many of the people involved in the effort, from physicists, to site managers to students volunteering to help. (Phys.org) —Fermilab, run by the U.S. Department of Energy is going to great lengths to document and make known the work that is being done to build the country’s next generation neutrino experiment—a twin campus endeavor known as NOvA that will shoot neutrino’s from one site to another located over 500 miles apart. In documenting the project, Fermilab is opening a window into the vast network of people and processes that are needed to undertake building a modern physics research facility. It also helps explain why it’s so expensive, even when there is a lot of free labor provided by students.The basic equipment at both sites is expected to be completed and installed sometime this spring—the electronics will be put in later this summer. © 2014 Phys.org This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.last_img read more