15 March 2007South Africa is finalising an ambitious plan to spend as much as R44.9-billion on halving the rate of new HIV infections in the country by 2011 and providing treatment, care and support to at least 80% of people living with HIV/Aids and their families.A draft of the new five-year National Strategic Aids Plan was discussed by government, business and civil society leaders at a consultative conference in Johannesburg on Wednesday.The final document is expected to be adopted by the South African National Aids Council, which is headed by Deputy President Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, by the end of March.Significant departureThe new plan – drafted in close co-operation with some of the country’s top scientists, actuaries, clinicians, health economists and activists – marks a significant change in South African government policy on the epidemic.The plan places a new emphasis on treatment and prevention, and makes no mention of the dietary recommendations previously cited by the health ministry as key to fighting Aids.It also spells out clear, quantified targets, and places a high priority on monitoring and evaluation. Business Day reports that a special unit is to be set up in the health department to monitor the implementation of the plan, with a mid-term review scheduled for 2009.“There is a new mood and energy in government,” Dr Nomonde Xundu, the department’s chief director for HIV/Aids, told Business Day.Congress of SA Trade Unions general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi told Wednesday’s gathering that, if supported by business and civil society, the plan would be “the boldest, most comprehensive strategic plan on Aids in the world.”Massive spendingAccording to Business Day, Treasury calculations contained in the draft plan put the costs at almost R45-billion – far exceeding the R14-billion the government has already allocated to Aids programmes over the next three years – with up to 40% of this earmarked for Aids drugs.Xundu indicated to Business Day that the government was likely to increase its funding, but would also look to the private sector and foreign donors for assistance.Speaking at Wednesday’s conference, Xundu emphasised that prevention remained key to South Africa’s fight against HIV/Aids.“The intention of the plan is to ensure that the large majority of South Africans who are HIV-negative remain negative,” she said, adding that there was a strong focus on reducing the number of new infections among people in the 15- to 24-year age group.Young people’s choices“The future course of the HIV/Aids epidemic [in South Africa] hinges, in many respects, on the behaviour young people adopt and the contextual factors that affect those choices,” Xundu said.The plan also aims to reduce the HIV infection rate among children under the age of five by expanding the prevention of mother-to-child transmission programme and providing antiretroviral therapy for pregnant women.On treatment, the aim is to increase the reach of the country’s antiretroviral treatment programme from the current estimated one-quarter of HIV-positive people to at least 80% of people living with HIV/Aids as well as their families.In order to lessen the impact of Aids on familes and communities, the plan also aims to expand community-home-based care and palliative care programmes, as well as social safety network programmes for orphans and vulnerable children.‘Formidable partnership’ needed“Nothing less than a formidable partnership between government and civil society can assist us to achieve our goal of reversing the tide of this pandemic,” Mlambo-Ngcuka said on the release of the first working draft of the plan on World Aids Day in December.“Too many people have been infected and too many have died, but if we work together, Aids can be beaten.”According to that draft of the document, HIV/Aids is one of the main challenges facing South Africa, which had an estimated 5.54-million people – 18.8% of the adult population – living with HIV in 2005.“Although the rate of the increase in HIV prevalence has in past five years slowed down, the country is still to experience reversal of the trends,” the document stated. “There are still too many people living with HIV, too many still getting infected.”According to the document, the “immediate determinant of the spread of HIV relates to behaviours such as unprotected sexual intercourse, multiple sexual partners and some biological factors such as sexually transmitted infections.”However, the “fundamental drivers” of the epidemic in South Africa “are the more deep-rooted institutional problems of poverty, underdevelopment and the low status of women, including gender-based violence, in society.”SouthAfrica.info reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
Foxconn, the Taiwanese company that manufactures devices for Apple, Nokia, and Sony, has over 1.2 million employees, mostly in factories on the Chinese mainland. By 2016, it would like to replace as many of those as possible with robots that can do the job 24/7.That would address the human rights concerns about the company’s working conditions. But is it worth putting 1.2 million people out of work? It’s the classic globalization question.Foxconn declared its intentions to go robotic last year, announcing that it had 10,000 robots online, ramping up to 300,000 this year. The goal as stated in the 2011 Xinhua article was to get to 1 million robots by 2014. This TechWeb post from January (which was brought to my attention by John Biggs at TechCrunch today) says Foxconn would reach the goal this year. IT + Project Management: A Love Affair I used robots to translate the TechWeb post into English, and I think it reveals some interesting tidbits. It describes (vaguely) a gradual process by which certain tasks will be moved over from people to robots, eventually taking over much of the assembly process. Foxconn chairman Terry Gou says that “Foxconn[‘s] young people will [re-learn] to [manipulate] robot software, application and maintenance, to become robot application engineers and software engineers, operating the robot and joint production.”It’s actually a pretty frank article, acknowledging the tragic suicides of Foxconn workers in 2010 and attributing it to the monotonous, relentless working conditions. No one wants more of that, let alone the underage workers that managed to slip through at one factory. The positive PR in the article points to how much more productive Foxconn will be with these robots, which only cost about $25,000 a piece (three times as much as human workers make). The robots seem like a win-win-win-win.Foxconn gets unbeatably low production costs and high production volume. Tech companies like Apple might even start competing with China for robot manufacturing, driving prices even lower. Thus customers get cheaper computers. And Foxconn workers get trained for higher-skilled, less awful jobs. Or some of them do, at least. The unspoken implication is that nowhere close to 1.2 million workers will be necessary.The reporter relates this exchange between two Foxconn workers (forgive the Google Translate weirdness):“Are you afraid of robots to fight for a job?”“A little worried.”“Robot than you good?” [Presumably, “Worried that robots are better workers than you?”]“Not tired, a robot can top several employees, do not get hurt, and so on.”It’s a win-win-win-win-lose. The losers are the Foxconn workers who depend on these manufacturing jobs and will lose them to robots. This isn’t just going to affect Foxconn. It’s going to come home to all of us, wherever we live, sooner rather than later. Is it worth the trade-off?I think it is, but only on one condition, which Vivek Wadhwa articulated on ReadWrite last month: We have to throw all our efforts into reforming education.Lead image via Wikimedia Commons Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… jon mitchell Tags:#Foxconn Related Posts 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of…
For Naktala Udayan Sangha, which is patronized by StateFor Naktala Udayan Sangha, which is patronized by State Education Minister Partha Chatterjee, the theme song is being sung by singer Surojit and Sayan Ghosh. The theme of the puja is inner value.”The theme song these days are integral part of Durga Puja. Just like theme based pujas, theme songs are also an important part of Puja,” Chatterjee told PTI.The theme song of Hindusthan Club this year is called ?Parar Gaan? (Song of the Neighbourhood). It has been penned by senior TMC leader Chandrima Bhattacharya and music is composed by Debaditya Chaudhury.TMC MLA Sujit Bose, who is Sreebhumi Sporting Club puja organiser, said “This year we have incorporated theme song in our Durga Puja. We hope to receive a good response.”One of the organisers of this big budget puja said theme songs have picked up in the past two to three years. “The tradition of music albums during Durga Puja has declined over the years. So it was decided that Durga puja committees on their own will organize the theme songs.”Echoing him, a puja organiser of south Kolkata, an area known to have more theme pujas, said, “Durga Puja has always been a time when we have traditionally seen so many melodious compositions over the years. Now things have changed and puja organisers are themselves using theme songs to make their Durga Puja more attractive.”The theme songs are released as audio CDs 15-20 days ahead of Durga Puja and are also uploaded on Youtube.advertisementSome of the clubs who cannot afford to pay for topnotch musicians and singers, opt for local singers and have DJs to compose the theme song for their clubs.”We have taken help of a DJ who performs in one of the night clubs in Kolkata and a local singer for our theme song. Since the theme is folk-based, the music too will be in tune with it. The music will incorporate the traditional dhaak to ring in the Puja feeling,” said yet another puja organiser. PTI PNT KK SUS DV
Singer Anna Danes preforming at Martinis Above Fourth on Thursday Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom July 30, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Anna Danes joined KUSI to share her talent and talk about her up coming show! She was accompanied by Sky Ladd on keyboard. Posted: July 30, 2019 Updated: 9:49 PM
In its 12th year of celebrations, Yaadgare-e-Ghalib initiated by the Ghalib Memorial Movement with the support of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and the Delhi Government, will take Delhiites back in time.‘The highlight of Yaadgare-e-Ghalib this year is the remarkable transformation of Ghalib’s haveli with the objective to make the haveli an important landmark on the heritage tourism trail of Delhi,’ says Dr Suresh Goel, director general, ICCR. Mirza Ghalib spent time at this haveli from 1860 to 1869.The three-day event started from 26 December and conclude on 28 December. The event will mark the birth anniversary of the great poet, Mirza Ghalib. The highlight will also be a film on his life, mushaira by eminent poets from the Indian sub-continent and an exhibition on Ghalib’s rare and priceless memorabilia at his haveli.A candle-light procession from Town Hall to Gali Qasim Jaan, Chandni Chowk started the event. The procession was led by lyricist Gulzar, author and diplomat Pavan Varma, and Ustad Iqbal Ahmed Khan, a Delhi gharana musician, among other leading artists.The final day will have Urdu comic play by Peirrots Troupe –Ghalib in New Delhi at the India Islamic Centre.‘At Ghalib’s haveli, there will be a sound track of works related to Ghalib. Special care was taken to put together historic letters and other memorabilia of the legendary poet.These priceless exhibits will be on display as a permanent feature by ICCR,’ says kathak danseuse Uma Sharma, who is also the founder of the Ghalib Memorial Movement.
A global debate regarding the sale of facial recognition tech to the government has been ongoing for quite some time now. It is largely over the concern that government tracking public’s every move will hamper public privacy and develop a constant fear of being watched among the citizens. It will also provide the government an unfair ability to target immigrants, religious minorities, people of color & ethnicity. Giant tech firms such as Microsoft, Amazon, and Google have already gone under the scanner due to the opposition faced by rights groups and public rights organizations. These groups have been urging tech companies to reconsider the consequences that can emerge after selling the facial recognition tech to the government. Although it still remains a debate between the U.S. tech firms, government, and the citizens, it appears to be set in action across China. China apparently is using facial recognition tech to keep a track on around 11 million Uighurs, a Muslim minority, for the purposes of ‘search and review’. China has already been chastised globally for detaining nearly one million members of these Muslim ethnic minorities in indoctrination camps in its western region Xinjiang. Paul Mozur, Asia tech correspondent with the New York Times, published an article, shedding light on the harsh reality of this privacy-hampering practice. It’s the first known example of facial recognition being used intentionally by a government to racially profile and a massive ethical leap for A.I”, writes Mozur. The facial recognition tech looks out for Uighurs on the basis of their appearance and keeps a tab on their day to day activities. This practice which was earlier only ongoing in the west Xinjiang (home for Uighurs), to track people’s DNA, is now being implemented in other parts of China. Earlier this year, law enforcement in the central Chinese city of Sanmenxia had a facial recognition system that tracked whether its residents were Uighurs or not about 500,000 times in a month. Also, law enforcement at the central province of Shaanxi aimed to acquire a smart camera system in 2018 that would identify Uighur/non-Uighur attributes. Generally, facial recognition tech tracks people on the basis of skin color and face shapes. However, China’s facial surveillance, with the help of tech startups, have managed to classify people based on ‘social definition’ of race or ethnicity with the new ‘minority recognition’ feature. Chinese AI companies to aid with the software include Yitu, Megvii, SenseTime, and CloudWalk. With the help of machine learning, engineers feed thousands of labeled images of Uighurs and non-Uighurs to train the systems to recognize the pattern, which in turn, helps distinguish between different ethnic groups. Claire Garvie, an associate at center on privacy and tech at Georgetown Law, told New York Times, “If you make a technology that can classify people by ethnicity, someone will use it to repress that ethnicity.” Additionally, a face-image database has been set up for people with criminal records, mental illnesses, history of drug abuse, and those who have petitioned the government over grievances. A national database of criminals includes about 300,000 faces, and people with a history of drug use totals 8,000 faces, in the city of Wenzhou. Just last month, an analyst at Tencent & WeChat, Matthew Brennan, tweeted a video of a facial recognition kiosk at Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport in the People’s Republic of China that went viral. The video showed kiosk giving Brennan personalized flight information after scanning his face within a fraction of seconds. According to Jonathan Frankle, an A.I. researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, this practice by China is a major threat to its democracy and an ‘urgent crisis’. Critics have labeled China negatively for its gladiatorial show of tech-enabled authoritarianism and power over Uighurs. Read Next Alarming ways governments are using surveillance tech to watch you Chinese tech companies don’t want to hire employees over 30 years of age ‘Developers’ lives matter’: Chinese developers protest over the “996 work schedule” on GitHub
Thursday, January 19, 2017 See Adele in Australia, courtesy of Visit Oakland TORONTO — Visit Oakland is giving away a massive prize of two roundtrip airfares to Melbourne, Australia with three nights accommodation and two tickets to see Adele in concert on March 18.Agents will be receiving an Inspiration Guide with a set of crayons and a colouring-in poster that will come poly-bagged in the January 19, 2017 issue of Travelweek. Visit Oakland is asking agents to share their coloured-in poster on Instagram and tag @visitoakland and use the hashtag #OaklandLoveIt.If you missed the poster, you can download it here. To enter the contest, go to visitoakland.com/travel-trade/color-canada. Share Travelweek Group Posted by Tags: Contests << Previous PostNext Post >>
[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he new Championship season blasts into life tonight with the opener between hot title favourites Newcastle and Fulham at Craven Cottage.A nice 500 mile+ round trip for the Toon Army on a Friday night.Newcastle’s fall from grace last season hasn’t impacted season ticket sales – far from it, they’ve sold more this season than last and go into the new campaign with high hopes, Benitez still as manager, some promising new signings including Dwight Gayle and Matt Ritchie BUT … does it all REALLY add translate to a 7/4 chance to win the Championship?I know they bounced straight back when they last dropped out of the top flight and the fans will demand nothing less but, cliches aside, the Championship remains a damn tough division and there surely have to be better 7/4 chances around?It will be a new look Fulham side too tonight after a disappointing campaign last season which saw them finish 20th in the table, just 11 points off the drop zone.Centre-back Tomas Kalas and forward Sone Aluko are among seven signings set for their debuts.Fulham v Newcastle UnitedChampionship19:45 Sky Sports 1 / Sky Sports 1 HDHEAD TO HEAD RECORD(Maximum 10 matches)Mar 2014 PREMIER LEAGUE Fulham 1-0 NewcastleAug 2013 PREMIER LEAGUE Newcastle 1-0 FulhamApr 2013 PREMIER LEAGUE Newcastle 1-0 FulhamDec 2012 PREMIER LEAGUE Fulham 2-1 NewcastleJan 2012 PREMIER LEAGUE Fulham 5-2 NewcastleAug 2011 PREMIER LEAGUE Newcastle 2-1 FulhamFeb 2011 PREMIER LEAGUE Fulham 1-0 NewcastleNov 2010 PREMIER LEAGUE Newcastle 0-0 FulhamMay 2009 PREMIER LEAGUE Newcastle 0-1 FulhamNov 2008 PREMIER LEAGUE Fulham 2-1 NewcastleWhilst it’s a marathon, not a sprint Newcastle are very much a ‘momentum’ side and will need to get off to a flyer to justify their cramped odds. I think they’ll try and make a significant statement tonight.Only around evens to win, I prefer the Newcastle HT / FT option which is a bit more interesting at 9/4 with Star Sports.RECOMMENDED BETS (scale of 1-100 points)BACK NEWCASTLE / NEWCASTLE 12 points at 9/4 with Star SportsPROFIT/LOSS SINCE EUROS: +79.50 pointsBET NOW WITH STAR SPORTS 08000 521 321