1 February 2010 Two South African scientists have won the African Union’s (AU’s) first awards for excellence in science. The awards were made during the AU’s heads of state summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on Sunday. Professor Diane Hildebrandt, co-director at the centre for optimisation modelling and process synthesis at Johannesburg’s University of Witwatersrand, was the winner in the basic science and innovation category. Patrick Eriksson, head of the geology department at the University of Pretoria, was the winner in the earth and life sciences category. They were chosen from 50 contestants from across the continent for the outstanding work in their fields, and were each rewarded with US$100 000 for their achievement. South African President Jacob Zuma, who handed the scientists their awards during a ceremony in Addis Ababa, said the awards resonated with the theme of the summit, which focuses on improving Africa’s information and communication technology infrastructure. Zuma said the two had contributed to flying the South African flag internationally. “Science, technology and innovation form indispensable tools for driving socio-economic progress … and is sustained by adequate and competent human capital,” Zuma said. Source: BuaNews
A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… alex williams Tags:#cloud#Contests Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting How do you best manage business-critical applications on a virtualized infrastructure? That’s the question this month for our MacBook Air contest. Best comment on this post wins. You’ll need a Disqus account to participate. This is the kind of question that I look forward to hearing about. So, let’s hear it, all you DevOps folks and cloud management gurus!We’ll review the comments and pick a winner at the end of the month. Ray Wang is the co-judge this month. Thanks to Sam Ramji for helping with last month’s contest.The winners will be announced on the first of May. Last month’s post is a good guide. You can see comments quality we have been getting. Now, let’s hear it. We look forward to the conversation! Related Posts 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
The agent of Bayern Munich defender Mats Hummels has denied claims that he is engineering a transfer to the Premier League for next monthUnder new coach Niko Kovac, Hummels has struggled for regular game time with only eight starts in Bayern’s 16 Bundesliga games this season.Despite being named in the starting line-up for the second time in a row in Wednesday’s 1-0 win against RB Leipzig, Hummels continues to be linked with a move away from Bayern.Bild previously reported that the Germany international’s dissatisfaction with his role led him to seek a switch to the Premier League in January.The report added that Hummels’ agent, Marc Kosicke, travelled to England to discuss a potential move for his client to either Chelsea or Tottenham.But Kosicke has now publicly denied those claims.“The story is a classic hoax,” Kosicke told Sport1.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…It turns out Kosicke only advises Hummels on marketing matters and not on his footballing career.Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has also spoken out on the report by insisting Hummels will not leave the club in January.The German made his 100th appearance for Bayern against Leipzig and is contracted with the Bavarians runs until June 2021.💯 appearances for @fcbayern and a big win last night💪🏻👨🏻 many more to come! pic.twitter.com/W5ubqrjIlF— Mats Hummels (@matshummels) December 20, 2018
Phones See It Now playing: Watch this: On Friday, Blass also tweeted an image of the rumored phone in a (very) light purple color. The side button on the purple phone appears to be yellow, while the earlier image of the phone had an orange button. 15 Pixel 3 features you should use right now See it Tags That phone, possibly also known as the Pixel 3 Lite, is rumored to include some of the same features as the current Pixel 3 but at a lower price. The Pixel 3 phones on store shelves today have received acclaim for their top-notch cameras and innovative features — but they’re expensive. The Pixel 3 starts at $799 (£739, AU$1,199), and the larger XL model starts at $899 (£869, AU$1,349). Blass’s photo follows a series of earlier leaks about the Pixel 3A, aka Pixel 3 Lite. In November 2018, the Russian blog Rozetked posted photos of a device that looked similar to the Pixel 3 but with larger bezels and a headphone jack, which neither the Pixel 3 nor 3 XL have. Adding to the mystery, the phone was pictured with a C-shaped logo on the back. Google didn’t respond immediately to a request for comment. 6:32 Images of what’s purported to be a new Google phone: the Pixel 3A or Pixel 3 Lite. AndroidHeadlines Editors’ Note, May 7, 2019: CNET’s Google Pixel 3A and Pixel 3A XL reviews are here. Read more about both phones and why Google decided to release these budget handsets. We expect to see the official fourth-generation Google flagship phone in the fall — probably October. But new photos continue to pop up showing another new Pixel phone that may preempt the Pixel 4, according to rumors. Leaker Evan Blass on Wednesday tweeted an image of a phone he says is the Google Pixel 3A. The same photo was also posted on Slashleaks, with the caption “Google Pixel 3A press render leaked.” Neither Blass nor Slashleaks posted any further details. The date shown on the phone, however, is May 7 — the very day Google’s I/O conference is set to kick off. Sprint Mentioned Above Google Pixel 3 XL (64GB, just black) In purple. pic.twitter.com/hgcC1V7zxK— Evan Blass (@evleaks) April 26, 2019 Best Buy $929 Post a comment $929 See It Verizon Wireless $919 $949 See It CNET may get a commission from retail offers. 17 Photos Google Pixel 3 XL Review • Pixel 3 XL review: Everything we love about the Pixel 3 on a bigger screen New budget Pixels coming May 7? 0 Google Pixel 3a pic.twitter.com/WFb1bfvlK9— Evan Blass (@evleaks) April 24, 2019 Originally published April 24. Update, April 26: Adds image of rumored Pixel 3a in purple. Share your voice Android Pie Google
US dollar notes are seen in this November 7, 2016 picture.Reuters fileThree start-ups — Oxa Medical, AdUrCup and Mobisy Tech — raised funds for their expansion plans. in the past couple of days. While the amount was not known for Oxa Medical, Adurcup raised $325,000 in pre-Series A funding and Mobisy Tech received $382,000.Mobisy Tech, a Bengaluru-based start-up, which owns marketplace app Distiman and supply chain automation platform Bizom, said that the money raised from existing investor Ojas Ventures and two undisclosed angel investors will be used to drive Distiman’s geographical expansion and ramp up operations of Bizom, according to a report in VCCircle.”Other functions, such as brand sales and engineering, are shared. In fact, Bizom is Distiman’s back-end technology, so the engineering roadmap for the products is essentially the same. Hence, the same resourcing and costs,” the portal quoted Arun Narayanan, co-founder, Mobisy Technologies, as saying.Oxa Medical, a Hyderabad-based online platform for personalised medical tourism package, raised an undisclosed amount in seed funding from Idein Networks.”We are creating a one-stop shop for people travelling to India for healthcare or medical treatment purposes. We not only arrange for travel, accommodation and treatment but also provide pre-travel medical consultation and post-treatment care services,” Shashank Shrivastava, founder, Oxa Medical, told DealStreetAsia. Adurcup, the Kanpur-based online retail store for disposable consumables used in restaurants, did not disclose the investors who funded the latest round. The start-up, formed in July 2015, had raised $100,000 in seed funding from Green House Ventures.Kumar Kushang, Nitin Prakash and Harshit Mittal had co-founded the start-up that now seeks to grow its business.”The current fund raise will help us scale, bring more process innovations and improve our product, with profitability being the first milestone,” Kushang told e27.
Asian markets trade lower on 18 November (Reuters).Reuters file [Representational Image]Asian shares and U.S. stock futures slipped on Tuesday as pessimism about world growth drove investors away from risky assets, while sterling dithered as the latest plan for Brexit appeared to come and go with no progress.MSCI’s broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan fell 0.5 per cent, drifting away from a recent seven-week top.Losses were led by Chinese shares, with the blue-chip index off 0.6 per cent. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index was down 0.4 per cent and Australia’s main share index faltered 0.5 per cent.Japan’s Nikkei, which had opened firmer, was flat. US stock futures, which offer an indication of how Wall Street will open, were down about 0.5 per cent.US markets were closed on Monday for a holiday so trading was generally subdued overnight. However, equity prices in Europe and Latin America were hit after data showed a slowdown in growth in China, the world’s second-biggest economy.Adding to the air of caution and uncertainty, the International Monetary Fund trimmed its global growth forecasts and a survey showed increasing pessimism among business chiefs as trade tensions loomed.The gloomy IMF forecasts, released on the eve of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, highlighted the challenges facing policymakers as they tackle an array of current or potential crises, from the US-China trade war to Brexit.”This is now the second IMF downgrade in a row,” ANZ analysts said in a note.”And while there have been some positive developments in recent weeks, risks remain skewed towards weaker growth, with a ‘no deal’ Brexit and a sharper-than-expected slowdown in China getting special mentions.””Between the ongoing US-China negotiations and the UK’s Brexit impasse, market sentiment will continue to be dominated by geopolitics in the near term,” ANZ added.In a sign of risk aversion, the Australian dollar, often used as a liquid proxy for China investments, nudged down to $0.7155, putting it on track for a third straight session of losses.Sterling traded cautiously around $1.2887 as British Prime Minister Theresa May refused to rule out a no-deal Brexit. There are few signs she can break a deadlock with parliament after her Brexit deal was rejected last week.May offered to tweak her defeated deal by seeking further concessions from the European Union on a backup plan to avoid a hard border in Ireland.”Any upside for sterling in the near term may be limited,” said Capital Economics analyst Liam Peach. “Uncertainty would continue during the extended negotiations and there is no guarantee that it would last for only a short period of time.”Analysts said investors were nervous about building positions in the pound, especially given the possibility of Britain leaving the EU without a deal.The dollar held at 109.62 against the Japanese yen while the euro was near the floor of its recent trading range at $1.1369. Against a basket of currencies, the dollar was flat at 96.324.In commodities, global growth worries pulled oil prices lower early on Tuesday with Brent down 14 cents at $62.60 and US crude futures off 7 cents at $53.73.
The front window of the Orchids of Asia Day Spa is shown in Jupiter, Florida, US on 22 February. Photo: ReutersDemocratic congressional leaders have asked the FBI to investigate the founder of a Florida massage parlor chain who is an alleged acquaintance of president Donald Trump, according to a letter released on Monday.House of Representatives speaker Nancy Pelosi and senate democratic leader Chuck Schumer released the letter, signed by four other lawmakers. It asked investigators to look into “public reports about alleged activities by Ms Li ‘Cindy’ Yang and her apparent relationship with the president.”A chain of massage parlors founded by Yang is “suspected of involvement” in human trafficking and prostitution which involves female immigrants being forced to serve as “sex workers,” said the letter to the FBI and other federal investigative agencies.Senators Mark Warner and Dianne Feinstein and representatives Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler signed the letter. It said Yang also reportedly created a business called GY US investments which they allege “may be selling access to the president and members of his family to clients from China.”Michelle Merson, a Florida lawyer who says she is representing Yang, could not immediately be reached for comment. On a website, Merson posted a video in which she said Yang is scared and in hiding.Merson said Yang denies the allegations made against her. “Ms. Yang is not concerned because she feels she’s speaking the truth and the truth will free her,” Merson said in the video.The Democrats’ letter said Yang’s website, which has been taken down, once offered clients the “opportunity to interact” with Trump and other political figures as well as participation in White House and Capitol Hill dinners.The letter said that, if proven, such allegations “raise serious counterintelligence concerns.”It asked if Yang had been the focus of earlier federal or state probes and for an assessment of “counterintelligence risks” which Yang’s activities might have posed.The Democrats also asked if other individuals have used Mar-a-Lago, the president’s Palm Beach estate, to offer foreigners access to Trump or people around him, as well as whether Yang or her foreign clients have had access to Trump or US officials at the White House, Mar-a-Lago, or other Trump properties.The FBI had no comment on the legislators’ letter. The White House, the Office of Director of National Intelligence, and the Secret Service did not immediately respond to requests for comment.