S&P: Canada to add 9GW of capacity in 2019, more than 75% wind, solar

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):A total of 9,177 MW of power generation capacity is expected to be added to the Canadian grid in 2019, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence data. With 161 MW of capacity set to be retired, Canada could see a net gain of 9,016 MW.Wind and solar resources comprise about three-fourths of the new capacity expected to come into service this year, while the major retirement is a coal-fired plant. In two provinces, Alberta and Ontario, the electric system is managed by an independent system operator. In most other provinces and territories, the system is owned by the local government.At varying paces, provinces and territories have been reducing their fossil-fueled power generation capacity and replacing it with lower-emitting resources. In Alberta, for example, where 62% of Canada’s planned capacity additions for 2019 is located, the province has ordered all coal-fired capacity to be shut down by 2030, prompting utilities to both convert existing facilities to gas-fired capability and add new resources. In Ontario, all coal-fired generation capacity has already been shut, and the province has pushed for a combination of renewables, gas and nuclear resources.Wind accounts for over half of Canada’s planned capacity additions, at 5,200 MW. The Henvey Inlet Wind Project (Nigig Wind Farm) is the largest single project under construction, at 300 MW. U.S.-headquartered independent power producer Pattern Energy Group LP and Henvey Inlet First Nation subsidiary Nigig Power Corp. share ownership of the project, which is scheduled to begin operating in March on Georgian Bay. Ontario’s grid operator, the Independent Electricity System Operator, has a contract for the plant’s output.Solar accounts for 20% of scheduled 2019 additions, totaling 1,804 MW. The largest solar facility under construction is the Loyalist Solar Project, a 54-MW project in eastern Ontario. BluEarth Renewables Inc. and Mohawks of the Bay of Quinteshare ownership of the project, which is scheduled to begin operating in March, and the IESO will purchase the output.One Alberta coal plant accounts for almost all of the generating capacity to be retired in Canada this year. Independent power producer Maxim Power Corp. plans to shut its 150-MW HR Milner Generating Station (M1), which began operating in 1972, in December. It will be replaced with a larger gas-fired facility.More ($): Canada’s grid to add a net 9,000 MW of capacity in 2019 S&P: Canada to add 9GW of capacity in 2019, more than 75% wind, solarlast_img read more

Betfair – Le Pen drifts but punters still seek Trump-like moment

first_img With just three days to go until France heads for its final round of General Election voting (Sunday 7 May), Betfair Politics has priced far-right candidate Marie Le Pen at 9/1 (11% chance of winning).Updating its ‘France 2017 market’, Betfair Politics has detailed that yesterday’s live TV debate between Le Pen and Emmanuel Macron favoured the centrist ‘En Marche’ candidate Macron who is currently priced at 1.12 (89% chance of winning).Heading into Sunday’s final ballot, Betfair has traded + £25 million on its market, with Le Pen receiving substantial backing in a ‘two-horse race’. The bookmaker details that a Le Pen victory will be seen as another Trump-like upset, with bookmakers paying out hefty sums to political punters.Commenting on the market, Betfair Spokesperson, Katie Baylis said: “Most political commentators agreed that Macron came out the winner of what proved to be an extremely acrimonious debate and the betting certainly reflected that.“However, overnight backing came for Le Pen who continues to attract far more bets than Macron, in fact 73% of all bets this week have been on her. But unsurprisingly the big money is being staked on Macron, with 90% of money placed on the favourite so far today, including a £50k bet placed this morning.”French Presidential Election 2017Next President – £25m MatchedEmmanuel Macron              1.12 (1/8 or an 89% chance)Marine Le Pen                    9 (8/1 or an 11% chance)Le Pen 2nd Round Vote Percentage30% or lower           42 (41/1)30.01 – 35%            8.8 (8/1)35.01 – 40%            2.44 (6/4)40.01 – 45%            3.2 (11/5)45.01 – 50%            8 (7/1)50.01% or higher      10 (9/1)2nd Round Vote Turnout70% or lower           7 (6/1)70.01 – 73%            5 (4/1)73.01 – 76%            3.8 (14/5)76.01 – 79%            3.75 (11/4)79.01 – 82%            6.8 (6/1)82.01 – 85%            25 (24/1)85.01 – 88%            110 (109/1)88.01% or higher      250 (249/1) StumbleUpon Betfair – Record breaking summer of betting on women’s sports August 3, 2017 Bookmakers shorten Tory odds as Labour comeback fades June 7, 2017 Related Articles Share Share Submit New poll details the changing US sentiment on legalised sports betting September 27, 2017last_img read more

Bells On Their Feet

first_imgIt was something Sheena and Kristen Dauro started when they were just six and seven. Now nine years later, they were ready for their arangetram, literally “ascending the stage” – their first public performance of Bharat Natyam. Bedecked in fine silks and jewels, their eyes rimmed with kohl and with ghungroos tied around their ankles, they were all set to give the performance of a lifetime.Indeed, it’s that time of the year when the glossy invitation cards start arriving in the mail and a whole celebratory dance season begins for Indian immigrants, as young Bharat Natyam dancers get ready for the Arangetram, a major event in a young dancer’s life.Bharat Natyam is 3,500 to 5,000 years old, a classical dance form from South India that originated as religious dance. Here, continents away, it is being embraced by young Indian Americans and dance schools have proliferated across the United States as immigrant parents try to pass on the cultural traditions of their homeland.Bicultural couples are also embracing classical dance. “Since we are from two different faiths,” says Sunita Makhijani-Dauro, mother of Kristen and Sheena Dauro, “We thought if we immerse our children in something that speaks with a strong degree of heritage, it would really bring them to that feeling of discipline and commitment.” They had their arangetram this summer, a culmination of a dance journey that started when they were six and seven with their dance guru Satya Pradeep. Their arangetram involved a live orchestra from Bangalore, beautiful cards and special outfits for the dance performance at the Jeanne Rimsky Theater.Indeed, the hoopla around the arangetram has made it almost as ostentatious an event as a wedding! Relatives and friends travel from all over, even from as far as India, to witness the big event. For the dancer’s family it’s a major event with ornate invitation cards, rich costumes and jewelry and the hiring of musicians, photographers and videographers, besides renting a large hall and organizing dinner celebrations for the guests.Some families get custom-tailored costumes from India, others take a drive to Little Indias, while still others, like Makhijani-Dauro, visit Cyberspace. She was amazed to find that made-to-measure costumes as well as beautiful cards and brochures for the ceremony could all be ordered over the Internet.Says Satya Pradeep, who has done scores of arangetrams over the years, “Nowdays arangetrams have become more of a social gathering. We tend to focus more on the costumes and elaborate settings. But really it is a time to showcase the dancer’s hard work and years of training and talent to family and friends. Related Itemslast_img read more