Controversial Nimba Ebola Funds Distribution Backfires

first_imgThe controversial distribution of US$ 100,000 Ebola Funds allotted from the Nimba County Development Funds to fight Ebola has backfired, with Gbi and Dorlu Administration District Commissioner David Toe saying he had not received a cent from the Administration of Nimba County, headed by Supt. Fong Zuagele.Commissioner David Toe on Radio Kehgheamahn Breakfast show on 6th October, 2014 said his district’s share of money to enable them to carry on awareness is yet to be delivered.All efforts to get his share have proven futile and the only reason given him is the allotted share for his district was spent on other Ebola issues in Karnplay.At the time of the distribution of the said funds, he said, he was on an awareness trip in his district distributing buckets and other preventive materials to the citizens.“At the time the stakeholders were meeting in Sanniquellie, I was on a trip distributing buckets and I didn’t hear the story, but when I got the info and went to Sanniquellie, the County Inspector, Reginald Mehn, told me that my share of the money was used to bury Ebola victim in Karnplay,” he said.“All the money I have been using for Ebola in my district came from my pocket; I have not received any money from the county as it was announced,” Commissioner Toe stated.Nimba leadership has been at loggerheads over how the US$ 100,000 allotted to fight Ebola in Nimba was used.The Nimba Lawmakers of the 53rd National Legislature had repeatedly said that the money was intended to purchase PPE and sufficient  medical drugs for all health centers in Nimba, but instead,  the county leadership headed by Supt. Fong Zuagele divided portions of the money among the 17 administration commissioners, city mayors,  and media, while the some of the money was used to procure motorcycles for the awareness campaign in the county.The diversion of the funds from the expectation of the caucus brought great dissatisfaction among them, something they considered as disrespect.This crisis and other issues led the Lower House of Parliament to summon Superintendent Fong Zuagele and Development Superintendent Teeko Yorlay for an inquest. As a result; the plenary imposed a “vote of no confidence” in the two county officials.However, in counter reaction to Commissioner David Toe’s  claim on the same media 6th October 2014, Nimba County Inspector Reginald Mehn said the Commissioner was left out, because he was at the special county council sitting to endorse the usage of the money so what was allotted for them was diverted to other area of need, precisely in Gbehlay Geh/Karnplay). It appears as though Gbi and Dorlu were not the only districts left out; Kparblee was another district believed not to  have received any share of the Ebola Fund, Mr. Toe said. Gbi and Dorlu is one of the remotest districts in Nimba,  located at the southern part of Nimba bordering Sinoe, Rivercess, and Grand Bassa counties. But this district had been complaining bitterly of marginalization from the county administration from developments and other  opportunities.  This has led them to seek legislation to join Rivercess County.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

‘It’s the first time I’ve cried since my Dad passed away,’ Deeney tells talkSPORT as Watford seal Premier League promotion

first_imgWatford captain Troy Deeney joined talkSPORT to reflect on the “emotional” moment the Hornets team learnt of their promotion to the Premier League.Deeney netted his 21st goal of the season to guide the Vicarage Road outfit to a 2-0 victory over Brighton on Saturday lunchtime, a win which lifted them to the top of the table.But they were forced to endure a nervous wait for their automatic promotion spot to be confirmed, with top three rivals Norwich and Middlesbrough in action later that afternoon.Video footage soon emerged of wild celebrations on the team bus as the Hornets stars discovered both their rivals had failed, which in turn sealed their return to the top flight after an eight-year absence.And Deeney revealed he and his team-mates were completely taken by surprise with the news.“Honestly, we were just chilling out,” the striker told Call Collymore.“You know how it is at the back of the bus, we were just playing music and some of the lads were playing cards. We weren’t really looking at the results, more just the media stuff on TV.“But then literally as we were pulling in to the training ground all the results came on and you can imagine it all went a bit mental after that.“It was definitely emotional. I haven’t cried since my old man died [his father Paul sadly lost his battle with cancer in 2012] but I was definitely crying today.”It’s certainly been a turbulent year for the Hornets, who have defied the odds to be the first team to secure promotion after a remarkable managerial merry-go-round at Vicarage Road.Watford began the season under Italian coach Giuseppe Sannino, who resigned after just nine months in charge, while his replacement, former Brighton manager Oscar Garcia, took a break from football for health reasons after just one game at the helm.His assistant Billy McKinlay was promoted to full-time manager but he was sacked eight days later, before he could even sign a contract, after a win and a draw from his only two games.Slavisa Jokanovic has been in charge ever since, and Deeney credited the manager with the side’s turnaround in fortunes, as they aim to go one better next week and clinch the Championship title with victory over Sheffield Wednesday on the final day of the season.The striker added: “It’s been a difficult year, we were a bit of a laughing stock with four managers in the space of a month, but the new gaffer has come in and deserves a lot of credit.“The lads have stuck together thought all the adversity, and we’ve managed to realise that dream now and we’re going to enjoy it tonight.“But we still want to win the Championship next weekend.”last_img read more

DENIS DONALDSON INQUEST ADJOURNED FOR 14TH TIME

first_imgAn inquest into the death of Sinn Fein spy Denis Donaldson has been adjourned for the 14th time.The late Denis DonaldsonThe inquest in Letterkenny today was told by Gardai that the investigation has now extended to another police force’s jurisdiction.Donaldson was murdered at his cottage outside Glenties in 2006. The inquest was adjourned until February next year. DENIS DONALDSON INQUEST ADJOURNED FOR 14TH TIME was last modified: July 3rd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Denis DonaldsondonegalinquestSinn Feinlast_img read more

Small plane lands on I-5 as motorists make way

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Wadsworth, 28, of Acton had been flying about six months. He brought the plane low – about 20 feet above the eight-lane freeway that divides a golf course and an open-air strip mall. Drivers realized he was trying to land, and parted way for him. “He kept cool,” James said. “Everybody gave us the room to land on the freeway. “We tried to stick to all the usual emergency procedures,” he said. “It didn’t work, so I tried to land as safely as I could. I just wanted to get it landed as safely as I possibly could without hurting anyone else.” Wadsworth landed about 1 p.m. approximately 150 feet before the McBean Parkway overpass and slipped the plane under it before backing into the right shoulder, out of traffic’s way. No one was hurt, but the landing left the plane with a flat tire. It was towed back to the airport for repairs. CHP officials said the freeway has doubled as an emergency runway in the past. “If this was going to happen, this would be it,” Sgt. Rick Miler said. “This was perfect.” Eugene Tong, (661) 257-5253 eugene.tong@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The pilot of a single-engine plane that stalled high above Santa Clarita on Monday safely landed on a stretch of southbound Interstate 5, squeezing beneath an overpass, and taxied on the shoulder amid lunch-hour traffic. The emergency landing on I-5’s southbound lanes near McBean Parkway was worthy of praise, according to California Highway Patrol officers. The PA-24 Piper Comanche took off about noon from Whiteman Airport in Pacoima en route to Santa Paula with pilot Chad Wadsworth and a passenger, who were planning lunch there. The plane, built in 1958, experienced engine trouble about 2,500 feet over the Newhall Pass. “We lost the engine,” passenger Christian James, 34, said. “We had three minutes to make a decision whether to hit a mountain or land on the freeway.” last_img read more

Passing of bill delayed as Oppn buys time for talks

first_imgKolkata: The West Bengal Staff Selection Commission (Repealing) (Repealing) Bill, 2019, which was supposed to be passed in the Assembly on Thursday got postponed after opposition leaders demanded further discussion.The matter would be taken up in the Assembly on September 3. Main objectives of the proposed bill is to fill up the non-public service commission posts in various state government establishments within a very short span of time. Incidentally, it may be mentioned here that the Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee recently said that various vacant posts in government departments would be filled up soon. She has also given an impetus to the government to recruit candidates in the vacant posts thereby bridging the gaps which are still there in the system. The main motto of the Chief Minister is to ensure that not a single person is deprived of various social schemes extended by the state government. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThe state government felt the need of reviving the erstwhile West Bengal Staff Selection Commission established under the West Bengal Staff Selection Commission Act, 2011 which was subsequently repealed by the government in 2017 through the implementation of the West Bengal Staff Selection Commission (Repealing) Act, 2017. The opposition party MLAs demanded a further discussion on the bill when it was tabled in the House citing some technicalities regarding the bill. The matter was finally postponed for further discussion on next Tuesday.last_img read more