Serhou Guirassy responds to Arsenal transfer speculation

first_img Comment Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 19 May 2020 6:56 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.1kShares Guirassy says he’s flattered to be linked with Premier League clubs (Picture: Getty)But Guirassy has made it clear that only one person, other than himself, has the authority to speak about his future – and that’s his agent Moussa Sissoko. ‘Glad to hear about the interest from English clubs,’ the attacker tweeted. ‘However please be careful, the ONLY agent authorised to speak on my behalf is my agent Moussa Sissoko.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalAmiens director of football John Williams has no doubts that Guirassy has the ability to play in the Premier League in the future. ‘Last year, nobody had more players than us who left in the Premier League,’ he told L’Equipe.‘This year, Guirassy and [Nicholas] Opoku should go there.It’s understood Amiens would accept an offer of between €15-20million (£13-17.5m) for Guirassy following their relegation from Ligue 1.Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Arsenal fans convinced club have dropped Bukayo Saka contract hintMORE: Callum Hudson-Odoi returns to Chelsea training despite arrest Serhou Guirassy responds to Arsenal transfer speculationcenter_img Guirassy has scored nine goals for Amiens this term (Picture: Getty)Earlier this week, one of Guirassy’s intermediaries, Mark McKay, did little to quell the speculation by talking up a cut-price switch to England in the summer transfer window.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘A number of clubs in England and across Europe have shown an interest in Serhou after he performed so well for Amiens,’ McKay said.‘In the current climate due to the impact of the pandemic, clubs might not be able to pay huge transfer fees like they used to and in that respect Serhou could prove to be a bargain in this window.‘Serhou’s preference has always been to play in the English Premier League, but Amiens will evaluate all offers that come in for him and make a decision from there.’ Arsenal and Chelsea are reportedly interested in signing Serhou Guirassy (Picture: Getty)Serhou Guirassy has poured cold water on rumours he could be set for a move to the Premier League, but admits it’s flattering to be linked with the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea. The 24-year-old has established himself as one of the most sought-after forwards in Ligue 1, racking up nine goals and one assist for Amiens this season before the coronavirus crisis brought French football to a halt.Chelsea, Tottenham and West Ham are all rumoured to be interested in Guirassy and recent reports suggest Arsenal view the Frenchman as a possible long-term replacement for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Advertisementlast_img read more

Child advocate wants proper correctional facility for juveniles

first_img Share Share Sharing is caring! Tweet 18 Views   no discussionscenter_img LocalNews Child advocate wants proper correctional facility for juveniles by: – April 7, 2012 Share Fr. Franklyn Cuffy.An advocate for children’s rights want has called for authorities to swiftly address the issue of a proper correctional facility for young offenders in Dominica.Fr. Franklyn Cuffy believes that the lack of such facility could be a major contributing factor for the increase in criminal activities among juveniles. “I think our constitution says when a young person commits an act they should be sent to a training center but we send them to the state prison. To my mind this is a violation of the constitution, a violation of the rights of the young person,” he said.Cuffy said justice is not being done hence the reason for the increase in violence.“People do not want to feel insecure. People do not want to feel humiliated, people do not want to feel rejected so they are taking it into their own hands and this is one of the reasons why this ugly picture of violence is showing its face in Dominica”.He noted his elation however at the number of youths who participated in a National Youth Rally last weekend in Mahaut.“Over 100 young people showed up on the grounds of the Mahaut School on Palm Sunday. They displayed their talents, they prayed, they had clean fun,” he said.Cuffy believes that the nation needs to continue to put their trust in the youth to help motivate and encourage them to engage in positive and socially acceptable behavior.“We need to encourage them to display and share the gifts and talents that they have, if we can do that there will be less violence among our young people,” he explained.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

PAX looking for exchange student host families

first_imgGREENSBURG, Ind. — PAX, the Program of Academic Exchange is looking for host families to host foreign exchange students for the 2017-2018 school year.Audio Playerhttp://wrbiradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PAX-1.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.That’s PAX’s Sheryl Soendlin.PAX is looking for married couples with or without children, divorced, or empty nesters.There is no fee to apply or to become a host family, but volunteers don’t get paid to host either.A family in any of the school districts in Ripley, Franklin, Decatur, or Dearborn county can host through PAX.The schools would like to have students placed by the end of the school year.Audio Playerhttp://wrbiradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PAX-2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.For more information call Sheryl at (812) 663-9414.last_img read more

Anelka ‘backer’ criticises striker

first_img West Brom striker Anelka is facing a minimum five-match ban for his ‘quenelle’ salute, unless he can prove his case, after being charged by the Football Association with performing the allegedly anti-Semitic gesture after scoring against West Ham on December 28. The 34-year-old has until 6pm on Thursday to formally reply to the charge, which he appears certain to contest as he insists he is neither anti-Semitic nor racist. Press Association Anelka, however, believed he had the backing of a Jewish community leader in the battle to clear his name. Roger Cukierman, the president of CRIF (Representative Council of Jewish Institutions in France), initially appeared to side with Anelka in an interview with Le Figaro. The quenelle has been described as an inverted Nazi salute and was created by French comedian Dieudonne M’Bala M’Bala, who has been prosecuted for anti-Semitism. Anelka is a friend of Dieudonne’s, and the player has insisted his salute was a gesture aimed at the French establishment. Cukierman said in a video interview with Le Figaro the quenelle could not be regarded as anti-Semitic in the context it was performed in. That prompted Anelka to write in a statement on his Facebook page: “I therefore ask the English FA to kindly remove the charge made against me. And I repeat, I am not anti-Semitic or racist.” In the video, Cukierman said the gesture only had anti-Semitic connotations if made in front of a synagogue or a memorial to the Holocaust. But in a statement on the CRIF website, Cukierman has clarified his earlier views, and made clear Anelka’s actions were disappointing. “The ‘quenelle’ is a Nazi salute reversed, there’s no doubt in my mind because this is the will of the one who created and popularised it for purely ideological ends,” said Cukierman. “My statements in Le Figaro are no denial or renunciation on this subject, despite the interpretations that were made. “However, I wished, perhaps too quickly, to demonstrate that it was important to show discernment, restraint, to avoid being drawn into a spiral that was difficult to control. “It is clear the gesture of the ‘quenelle’ has dangerously spread among our citizens and especially youth. “They don’t realise the severity and scope. They are doing this gesture for provocation rather than anti-Semitism, at least I hope so. “Should we be hard on them? Definitely, as it glorifies crime against humanity, but we must also teach the youth who are manipulated by Dieudonne and his followers. “It is up to teachers to do that, but also public figures from the worlds of culture and sport. “This is why I was disappointed with the attitude of Anelka whose behaviour is the opposite of what a top athlete must show the youth of our country. “I was troubled by the fact the public man he is – a symbol for some of the youth of our country and so must therefore be perfect in his behaviour – can make this gesture ‘to show his friendship to his friend Dieudonne’, whose motivations are without a doubt anti-Semitic.” Nicolas Anelka’s hopes of pointing to the support of a prominent member of the French Jewish community in a bid to clear his name have received another blow.last_img read more

Bangladesh stun Aussies to claim historic maiden Test win

first_img… Warner ton in vain as Australia fall shortDHAKA, Bangladesh (Reuters) – Bangladesh pulled off a fairytale maiden Test victory over Australia yesterday as cricket witnessed a second triumph for the underdog in as many days with the Ashes protagonists both on the receiving end of surprise losses.Less than 24 hours after Shai Hope’s second century of the match secured a series-levelling victory for West Indies against England at Leeds, the Shere Bangla National Stadium on the outskirts of Dhaka became the venue of another upset.Playing his 50th Test, local talisman Shakib Al Hasan lit up the stadium with his all-round brilliance to script a famous 20-run victory that gives Bangladesh a 1-0 lead in the two-Test series.David Warner’s fighting ton was all in vain.Australia tried their hardest to dampen home hopes when a 130-run partnership between David Warner and Steve Smith revived Australia’s bid to chase down the 265-run target and salvage a win after being outplayed for the greater part of the match.Warner tempered his natural aggression but did not altogether abandon it, as was evident from the 16 boundaries and one six in his belligerent 112.The southpaw conquered his spin demons to register a 19th Test century, and second in Asia, but he fell just short of guiding Australia home on the fourth day of an enthralling encounter.Skipper Smith led a charmed life at the other end, spilled at mid-on by Tamim Iqbal, but Australia’s most assured weapon against Bangladesh’s rampaging spinners could not make the most of his reprieve.Shakib sent back Warner and Smith, who made 37, in the morning session when Australia lost five wickets.The left-arm spinner then snuffed out whatever realistic hopes Australia had of making it five straight wins over Bangladesh by dismissing Glenn Maxwell with the first delivery after lunch break.Pat Cummins, the lone paceman to taste success in the spin-dominated contest, blasted an unbeaten 33 down the order to inject some late excitement but was left stranded as Australia folded for 244.Shakib claimed 5-85 and was the obvious man-of-the-match choice for his first innings score of 84 and a 10-wicket haul.HOME STRENGTHYesterday’s win came five months after Bangladesh secured their first Test win over Sri Lanka and a month before the first anniversary of their maiden triumph over England in the longest form of the game.Seventeen years since granted the Test status, there are still whispers whether Bangladesh belong in the elite group but skipper Mushfiqur Rahim remains satisfied with the progress the team has made under his leadership.“If you look at our home performance, it has been pretty consistent,” he said. “Against England also, we were very close in the first Test and beat them in the second Test. That’s the belief we have.”Shakib articulated that belief in a pre-series media interaction where he said Bangladesh were capable of winning both the Tests against Australia and the opening triumph has filled Mushfiqur with similar optimism.“Hopefully we’ll come harder at them in the next Test and hopefully we’ll seal the series,” the captain said.Counterpart Smith believed Australia paid the price for a poor first-innings display, especially since they had to bat fourth on a track where the ball both bounced unpredictably and turned viciously.“It was a great Test match, credit to Bangladesh the way they played,” Smith said.“We probably let ourselves down in the first innings with the bat, probably we should have made a few more there. It was pretty difficult batting here in the second innings and I thought we did pretty well to get 240 in the end.”Bangladesh’s three-pronged spin attack claimed 19 of the 20 Australian wickets to fall with Usman Khawaja’s run-out in the first innings the only victim to elude the slow bowlers.Australia will slip one place to fifth in the Test rankings even if they level the series by winning the second Test in Chittagong from Monday. A second defeat would see them drop another place.BANGLADESH 1st innings 260 (S. Al Hasan 84, T. Iqbal 71) AUSTRALIA 1st innings 217 (S. Al Hasan 5-68) BANGLADESH 2nd innings 221 (T. Iqbal 78; N. Lyon 6-82) AUSTRALIA 2nd innings (Target: 265 runs)D. Warner lbw b Al Hasan 112M. Renshaw lbw b M. Hasan 5U. Khawaja c T. Islam b Al Hasan 1S. Smith c Rahim b Al Hasan 37P. Handscomb c Sarkar b T. Islam 15G. Maxwell b Al Hasan 14M. Wade lbw b Al Hasan 4A. Agar c&b T. Islam 2P. Cummins not out 33N. Lyon c Sarkar b M. Hasan 12J. Hazlewood lbw b T. Islam 0Extras: (b-7, lb-2) 9Total: (all out, 70.5 overs) 244Fall of wickets: 1-27, 2-28, 3-158, 4-171, 5-187, 6-192, 7-195, 8-199, 9-22.Bowling: Mehidy Hasan 19-3-80-2, Nasir Hossain 3-2-2-0, Shakib Al Hasan 28-7-85-5, Taijul Islam 19.5-2-60-3, Mushfiqur Rahim 1-0-8-0.last_img read more