Avian flu could cost Asia $130 billion

first_imgDec 3, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Avian influenza is expected to cost Asia $130 billion by 2005, according to Hur Young-joo of the South Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare, as reported in the Dec 2 online edition of The Korea Times.Of that $130 billion, $60 billion has been spent in China since 2003, Hur said. The estimate was attributed to Oxford Economic Forecasting Ltd., a United Kingdom firm that provides economic analysis, forecasting, and models for businesses. Information about which Asian countries were included and how the figure was developed was not available.Hur’s remarks came in advance of an international conference on zoonoses, which began today in Seoul, South Korea.About 170 experts were expected to participate, including representatives from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, the World Health Organization, and the World Organization for Animal Health, the newspaper reported.An official from South Korea’s Ministry of Health and Welfare was quoted as saying, “We seek to prepare a global network for efficient cooperation against epidemics in order to minimize damages from the diseases.”Zoonotic diseases are an area of growing concern for a number of reasons, but avian influenza in Asia has been dominating the news. Experts increasingly worry that the highly pathogenic H5N1 avian flu, which has killed 32 people in Vietnam and Thailand this year, could trigger a human flu pandemic.South Korea hasn’t had avian flu since March, but officials have strengthened quarantine measures in the country and designated the November-to-February period as a time to be on special alert for the disease, the paper reported.last_img read more

T&T attorney general concerned about increase in murders

first_img Share Share Tweet Sharing is caring! NewsRegional T&T attorney general concerned about increase in murders by: – December 31, 2011center_img Share 52 Views   no discussions At least 15 people have been killed since the State of Emergency ended earlier this month.PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad-Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said the crime plan implemented in the wake of the State of Emergency has failed.And, he wants Commissioner of Police Canadian Dwayne Gibbs to present his 2012 plan to ensure that murders are kept to a minimum.At least 15 people have been killed since the SoE ended December 5 – eight of them during the Christmas holiday weekend.“There should have been some plans to deal with it, anticipate it and that is why perhaps it’s a little troubling at this time,” the attorney general told a media conference yesterday.“…The government is very concerned in the spike of the murder rate post State of Emergency. I for one am very anxious to hear from the Commissioner of Police who had the benefit of a year to settle into the job and who we hoped to have brought fresh ideas and new perspective to be able to help us to solve the crime problem.”Ramlogan said the matter would likely be discussed at an upcoming meeting of the National Security Council.While noting that the murder rate was now lower than the previous three years, he said there was clear evidence that the SoE, which was in effect from August 21, saved lives.More than 350 people have been murdered for the year so far, 117 more than in 2010. Caribbean 360 Newslast_img read more