The Latest: Tigers’ Norris throws bullpen session in return

first_imgThe Citi Open in Washington, scheduled to start with Aug. 13 qualifying, was called off Tuesday because of what tournament manager Mark Ein said are “too many unresolved external issues, including various international travel restrictions as well as troubling health and safety trends.”The men’s and women’s pro tours both have been suspended since March and are planning to return next month. The first event on the most recently announced calendar is a women’s tournament in Palermo, Italy, starting Aug. 3.With Washington’s hard-court tournament now gone, the first chance for men to play sanctioned matches will be the Masters-level event usually played in Cincinnati that was moved to the site of the U.S. Open, starting Aug. 22.That is to be followed by the U.S. Open, beginning Aug. 31.___ “These adjustments reflect the public health situation at this time and the varying numbers of COVID-19 cases across different geographic areas of the state,” the UIL said in its announcement.___Danielle Collins has been kicked out of World TeamTennis for breaking the league’s COVID-19 protocols.WTT CEO Carlos Silva says Collins left The Greenbrier resort hosting all of the matches during the league’s three-week season and went out of the state of West Virginia.“The protocols have been put in place and communicated numerous times to protect the health and safety of our players, coaches and staff,” Silva said. That number is up from 72 in the union’s last report on July 10.On Monday, the NFLPA and the NFL reached agreement on COVID-19 testing as rookies begin reporting to training camps. Most veterans come in next week, though some players rehabbing injuries could report this week.Players will be tested daily for the coronavirus for at least the first two weeks of training camp, per the league’s new testing protocols. After two weeks of daily testing, if the positivity rate of those tests falls below 5% among players and team individuals with close access to them, testing would go to every other day. If the positivity rate doesn’t fall below that threshold, daily testing would continue until it drops.___ Norris was cleared to rejoin the Detroit player pool and said he threw a bullpen session Tuesday. He has a simulated game Thursday.Norris confirmed his positive test earlier this month to the Detroit News, but he said Tuesday he got the initial result June 23. “That was the test we took down in Florida. I was obviously super bummed, but my symptoms had pretty much cleared up by that time,” he said. “Once the Phillies camp had that little outbreak, they shut our camp down. … I didn’t know I was positive until I got to Detroit.”Norris said he was taking precautions while in Florida.“It was crazy down there. Everything was like open and semi-normal, but I wasn’t partaking in all that,” he said. “I just kind of figured I was doing enough to not get it.” The Latest: Tigers’ Norris throws bullpen session in return ___Swimming governing body FINA is giving almost $6.5 million to help athletes prepare for the postponed Tokyo Olympics.FINA says it wants to help athletes who “endure hardships related to their training and competitive opportunities due to the pandemic.”The plan includes $4 million for at least 160 national federations to support athletes with expenses for training, competitions and living over the next year.A further $2 million will support 100 scholarships for athletes who currently do not have Olympic qualifying standards to prepare at national or continental centers. FINA supports regional bases in Russia, Senegal, Thailand and the United States. July 21, 2020 Pole vault world record holder Armand “Mondo” Duplantis is headlining the event.The announcement comes as other European track meets plan to bring fans back. Tickets are on sale for the Diamond League meet in Monaco next month and organizers in Lausanne are staging a pole vault competition in the city which could have 5,000 fans if Swiss authorities agree.___This season’s Scottish Cup final will be played midway through next season.The Scottish soccer federation says the pandemic-delayed competition will be completed on Dec. 20. That is more than seven months after the original date for the final on May 9. A Russian team playing in the Kontinental Hockey League has withdrawn from a pre-season tournament after 20 people from the club tested positive for the coronavirus.Avangard Omsk general manager Alexei Volkov says the positive tests come from players and members of team staff who were tested during training camp. Volkov adds that the people are in isolation and that most don’t have obvious symptoms.Avangard was scheduled to play in a pre-season tournament from Aug. 4-9 in Sochi.The last KHL season was cut short midway through the playoffs when the coronavirus pandemic made international travel difficult.The KHL is aiming to start the new season on Sept. 2 and expects to finalize the calendar after a board meeting scheduled for next week. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Detroit Tigers left-hander Daniel Norris says he found out about his positive test about a month ago, but his COVID-19 symptoms were already clearing up by then. Storied Russian hockey club CSKA Moscow says that seven players have tested positive for the coronavirus.The club says the unnamed players tested positive Tuesday and that none of them are displaying symptoms.CSKA says in a statement the team has been tested for the virus each day since returning from vacation.The announcement comes hours after another Kontinental Hockey League club, Avangard Omsk, said that it was withdrawing from a pre-season tournament following positive tests for 20 people. That figure included players and staff.___ Grants totalling $460,000 will go to continental swimming bodies to distribute.___The ISTAF track meet in Berlin has outlined plans to have up to 3,500 spectators in attendance on Sept. 13.Organizers say they have developed a wide-ranging plan to ensure spectators stay healthy but haven’t revealed specifics. They were hoping for up to 45,000 fans at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin before the pandemic.Meet director Martin Seeber says he hopes it will be “a first small step back to normality.” Norris said his symptoms didn’t seem major at first — he woke up sweating a bit and achy — but in retrospect, he realized those symptoms may have been more significant.“The heavy symptoms only lasted a few days,” Norris said. “A few days after that test, I was like, ‘I feel like 100%.’”He said he sent out a message to the team telling them not to take the virus lightly.___The NFL Players Association says 95 players are known to have tested positive for the coronavirus. Collins is a 26-year-old American who was a semifinalist at the 2019 Australian Open. She has been ranked as high as No. 23 and currently is No. 51.She was playing for the Orlando Storm at WTT, which took all nine of its teams and put them at The Greenbrier, where the season began July 12 and ends Aug. 2.The WTT is not affiliated with the WTA or ATP professional tours, which have been suspended since March because of the coronavirus pandemic and plan to resume next month.___The tournament that was supposed to mark the official return of men’s professional tennis amid the coronavirus pandemic has been canceled. AUSTIN, Texas — Texas will delay the start of the public high school football season for its largest schools by a month as the state grapples with a recent surge of new coronavirus cases, hospitalizations and deaths.Instead of starting practice Aug. 3, those schools can now start Sept. 7. The first games can be played Sept. 24, a month after the originally scheduled opening weekend. The University Interscholastic League said it focused the delay on larger schools as many of them are in the states largest metropolitan areas, which have been hit hardest by the surge of virus cases. Some school districts are already changing their calendars to delay the start of the academic year, or to begin the year with several weeks of online classes. The Houston school district, the largest in the state, won’t meet on campus until mid-October.The UIL’s announcement said it also anticipates that not all schools will start at the same time and could face disruptions during the season. The competition was stopped at the semifinal stage. Defending champion Celtic will play Aberdeen and Edinburgh rivals Hearts and Hibernian will meet in the other semifinal on the weekend of Oct. 31-Nov. 1 at Hampden Park in Glasgow.Organizers say players who would ordinarily be barred from playing for a second team in the same competition can play for their new club even if they were earlier fielded by a different team.The 2020-21 season in the Scottish league will start on Aug. 1. The 2019-20 league season did not resume after the lockdown and Celtic was declared champion based on average points per game.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sportslast_img read more

The Bottom Line: Duke and Zion will dominate in March

first_imgThe East appears to be No. 1 Duke’s. The bottom half of the region features the three teams that could upset Duke in No. 2 Michigan State, No. 3 LSU and No. 7 Louisville. Ultimately, Michigan State will probably claw its way into the Elite Eight after getting past Bradley, Louisville and then LSU, but will run out of steam against Duke. In particular, the Midwest appears to be the toughest region in this year’s tournament. North Carolina headlines the division as the one seed, but it also features major college basketball powerhouses in Kentucky and Kansas, as well as sleeper teams like fifth seed Auburn. The match between Virginia and Auburn is a harder one to pick. While Auburn has been doing well recently, Virginia is still recovering from a disappointing ACC Championship Tournament. However, Auburn has a tough run just to get into the Final Four and is by no means a lock to get out of the Midwest. In recent years, Virginia has had an elite team, but it has failed to deliver in the tournament. This year is its time to change people’s minds. The South Region also has a good mixture of some top-seeded teams and sleepers, including Virginia, which headlines the group as the top seed. It recently lost to Florida State by 10 points in the ACC tournament, but it has had a strong season, only losing three times this season. It’s dangerous to pick a team from the east as the winner of the tournament because there are many capable of coming out of it. This region is just too good, and will be a total grind for whoever wins it. While North Carolina has had an impressive season with major victories and an elite coach, I opted for Auburn to win out of this region. It easily beat Tennessee in the SEC final — momentum I think they will carry forward. Robby Aronson is a sophomore writing about sports. His column, “The Bottom Line,” runs every other Wednesday. On the other side, Tennessee can definitely make a run as the No. 2 seed. The team lost to Auburn by 20 points in the SEC finals, but defeated Kentucky the day before. Experience is an important factor in the tournament. Its starting lineup against Auburn consisted of three juniors and two seniors. One of the hottest teams in the country, Auburn is now in the spotlight after winning the SEC Tournament. In the past, teams coming into March with momentum generally continue to ride the wave in the tournament. Moreover, Seton Hall, a No. 10 seed, narrowly lost to defending champion Villanova in the Big East tournament. That leaves a Final Four of Duke vs. Michigan and Virginia vs. Auburn. Duke’s easy run in the West Region makes them the favorite against Michigan. Ultimately the team has more stars on the court in RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish and Zion Williamson, and they should beat the Wolverines comfortably in that game. Barring an upset, these two teams in Tennessee and Virginia are likely to face off in the Elite Eight. While the game might end up being close, Virginia has been one of the best teams all season and are desperate to make amends for its loss last year in the first round of the tournament as the No. 1 team in the country. The West Region also contains last season’s runner-up in the tournament, No. 2 Michigan. Many Michigan players have good tournament experience, and the program has an elite tournament pedigree. While potential matchups between No. 7 Nevada and No. 3 Texas Tech may be tricky, Michigan’s experience from last year should give the team an edge and help it reach the  Final Four again. This year’s NCAA men’s basketball tournament has some intriguing matchups that will determine who will participate in the Final Four. Some regions on paper will be tougher than others. Whenever I make my bracket for March Madness, I typically over-analyze every statistic to determine the winning team. In the past, I’ve looked at factors like the team’s free-throw percentage, rebounding and age to settle on my winning pick. But this year is different. The ACC tournament showed that Zion Williamson transcends college basketball. Duke will win. The bottom line? Stars win championships. My final prediction is that Duke and Virginia will face each other in the final round. Both teams have played each other twice this year and have split the series with one win a piece. However, on the big stage in the ACC tournament with everyone watching, Zion Williamson came up big and put up tremendous numbers on both sides of the floor. True stars shine the brightest in the biggest games, and ultimately, Zion Williamson will carry Duke to yet another championship. As the weakest link, the West is up for grabs. No. 1 seed Gonzaga recently lost to St. Mary’s in the West Conference Tournament finals by scoring just 46 points. While they beat Duke earlier in the season, the Bulldogs have upset potential written all over them. In the second round, Gonzaga will potentially face Syracuse, which also defeated the Blue Devils this season, and I predict a Syracuse win.last_img read more

Heart risk seen in widely used drug for diabetes

first_imgAn article in a leading medical journal Monday raised serious safety questions about the widely used diabetes pill Avandia and renewed skepticism about the vigilance of federal drug regulators. The analysis, based on a review of more than 40 clinical studies involving nearly 28,000 patients, showed that Avandia significantly increased the risk of heart attacks, compared with other diabetes drugs or a placebo. Both the study’s lead author and the editors of The New England Journal of Medicine, in which the article appeared, cautioned that the research method used left the findings open to interpretation. But they said the study nevertheless raised important concerns. And the publication of the study on the journal’s Web site prompted the Food and Drug Administration to issue a public safety alert and to advise users of the drug – an estimated 1 million people in this country and 2 million worldwide – to consult their doctors about the potential cardiovascular risks. “We decided we needed to reanalyze the complex dataset ourselves to make a better-informed decision,” Dr. Robert J. Meyer, a director of the agency’s office of drug evaluation, said Monday. Meyer said that the agency was close to completing its analysis and would convene an advisory panel as soon as possible to review the drug. The FDA is conducting an estimate of excess heart attacks that might be attributed to the drug, but Meyer, saying the results were not final, declined to disclose the number. He noted that Avandia’s label already carries a warning of cardiovascular risks. Meanwhile, the FDA advised Avandia patients to check with their doctors. “We’re expecting dozens if not hundreds of phone calls tomorrow,” said Dr. John B. Buse, chief of endocrinology at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. “I’ve told our staff to tell people who call that this is not cause for panic. We can discuss it further at their next visit.” But Buse, a president-elect of the American Diabetes Association, said he would not be surprised if some doctors ultimately switch patients to an alternative drug unless additional details are released supporting Avandia’s safety. The New England Journal of Medicine posted the paper on its Web site, ahead of its planned print publication on June 14. Early Web postings are made by the journal’s editors in matters they consider to have public health importance. Information on the study was not supposed to be released until 5 p.m. Monday, after the closing bell on Wall Street, but it was inadvertently published Monday morning by two wire services. The company’s stock began falling almost immediately and was down more than 8 percent by midafternoon, before finishing down 7.85 percent, at $53.18. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The journal’s editor in chief, Dr. Jeffrey M. Drazen, said: “We view this as the best publicly available data on a very important question. It shows what we regard as a preliminary, but worrisome, signal about cardiovascular toxicity of this drug.” The drug’s maker, GlaxoSmithKline, issued a news release defending Avandia’s safety and strongly disagreeing with the conclusions of the journal article, which it said was based on incomplete evidence. Glaxo’s stock fell by nearly 8 percent on the news. While the analysis took Wall Street and many doctors by surprise, Glaxo and the FDA disclosed Monday that they had known about the signs of potential cardiovascular risk since last August, when the company, on its own initiative, submitted a similar analysis to the agency. That disclosure prompted questions on Capitol Hill about why patients and doctors had not been informed earlier. Regarding the delay, the FDA said the significance of the studies had not been confirmed and in fact was contradicted by some other studies. last_img read more