Governor and First Lady Wolf Join Health Professionals, Advocates, & Legislators to Denounce Senate Bill 3

first_img February 17, 2017 Governor and First Lady Wolf Join Health Professionals, Advocates, & Legislators to Denounce Senate Bill 3 SHARE Email Facebook Twittercenter_img Press Release,  Public Health,  Women’s Rights Abington, PA – Governor Tom Wolf and First Lady Frances Wolf today joined women’s health advocates and medical professionals, along with Representative Madeleine Dean, Senator Art Haywood, Representative Steve McCarter, and Representative Mary Jo Daley to denounce the fast-tracking of Senate Bill 3 which would eliminate a woman’s right to make choices about her own health care in consultation with her doctor.“I want to thank the members of the General Assembly who have stood against this bill. Let me be clear: Should Senate Bill 3 reach my desk, I will veto it,” Governor Wolf said. “I am not threatening a veto out of partisanship, or due to some political back and forth. I am promising this veto to demonstrate that Pennsylvania will not play games with women’s healthcare in our Commonwealth. Simply put, this legislation severely limits women’s ability to make informed and timely decisions about their own health care options. That is not the place of government.”“Senate Bill 3 is an unwise, unscientific, unvetted, and unconstitutional bill,” said Representative Madeleine Dean. “It is dangerous and is anti-woman, seeks to take both the choice and the decision making away from a woman, her doctor and her family—and bizarrely puts critical medical decisions in the hands of the Pennsylvania legislature.  All of this without so much as a hearing or consultation with experts and doctors.”Senate Bill 3 proposes the most extreme restrictions on abortion in the country. It would ban abortions after twenty weeks except in the rarest of circumstances, leaving no exceptions for rape, incest, health or tragic fetal anomalies. The bill would also ban one of the safest methods of second trimester abortions, putting women at risk and taking crucial decisions about their medical care out of the hands of their trusted medical providers.“This vote was based upon a bunch of quacks,” said Senator Art Haywood. “There’s no medical basis for the decisions a group of non-doctors have made. And they made this decision on behalf of Pennsylvania’s women without the input of those women or the doctors who serve them.”The Pennsylvania Senate recently passed the bill, despite bi-partisan opposition, through committee and the floor in just three days with limited debate and no expert witnesses or public hearings. The bill now awaits action by the House of Representatives, where a similar version passed last session.Governor and First Lady Wolf were joined today by women who have had to make devastating decisions about their pregnancies. If SB 3 were to be passed, women facing the same circumstances would be stripped of their right to make these personal, family decisions.“I am grateful for the one element of control I had in an otherwise powerless situation: the decision to end our pregnancy and with it our son’s pain and suffering,” said Erica Goldblatt Hyatt. “This is the paradox, I learned, of being a mother: in my case, loving my son so deeply that it meant choosing to say goodbye. Though that choice rests on my heart every day, I know it was the right one for our family, and I am grateful to live in a State where our Governor supports the rights of women like me to make it, autonomously, with those who know and love her best.”Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolflast_img read more

Agent reacts to Sterling exit story

first_img “Raheem and his representatives have a meeting scheduled with Liverpool later this week, and we will take proceedings from there.” Sterling has two years left on his current deal but rejected a reported £100,000-a-week offer earlier this year and negotiations were put on hold until the end of the season. The reports have generally been viewed as another public relations disaster by Sterling’s camp, after a pre-arranged television interview in April in which the youngster claimed he was not a “money-grabber”. A dip in performance levels this season has not helped him, while the row over whether he was too tired to play in a Euro 2016 qualifier back in October also soured his relationship with England fans. And regular links with the likes of Manchester City, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have led to accusations his head has been turned. However, former Liverpool winger John Barnes cautioned Sterling over making a hasty decision which could impact his long-term future. “Raheem has not achieved anything, he has not won anything,” Barnes told BBC Radio 5 Live. “Raheem has great potential but Liverpool gave him an opportunity and he should stay for a couple of years. Press Association “The time is not right for him to move, but if he wants to move the club should sell him. The manager cannot keep an unhappy player. “This idea of leaving one huge club to join another huge club does not sit well with me, but it is a modern era where the power is in the players’ hands. “Does anyone believe that if he goes to Manchester City he will be the first name on the team sheet or are they just signing him because they need English players? “If he goes to Manchester City, to give himself a chance of winning the league, he will not become a regular for them. We have seen it with players in the past like Scott Sinclair.” Raheem Sterling’s agent claims reports the Liverpool forward is set to the tell the club he wants to leave this summer have “been blown somewhat out of proportion”. Aidy Ward, the 20-year-old’s long-time representative, said he and the player were always scheduled to meet Reds officials this week and insists they will move forward from there. “The story has been blown somewhat out of proportion,” he said in a statement to talkSPORT. last_img read more