Lea Michele in Funny Girl on Broadway! No, Really!

View Comments The TV starlet told Broadway BFF Jonathan Groff in the new issue of Teen Vogue that Glee creator Ryan Murphy has now officially obtained the rights to the show and that “we’re hoping to do that at some point.” Hey, did you know that Lea Michele wants to play Fanny Brice in Funny Girl on Broadway? Yeah, we thought so. The Glee star has definitely been vocal about her love of Barbra Streisand and the role that made her a star. She’s sang the show’s songs on the Tony Awards, on her hit Fox show and, well, anywhere she can. And her Glee character, Rachel Berry, is now actually STARRING as Fanny Brice in Funny Girl on TV. So what is all of this building up to? You guessed it: Lea Michele is Fanny Brice in Funny Girl on BROADWAY! OK, so it’s not exactly happening tomorrow. But it looks like it’s happening! Congrats, Lea! Dreams do come true. Is this the most perfect thing ever? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below! read more

PAX looking for exchange student host families

first_imgGREENSBURG, Ind. — PAX, the Program of Academic Exchange is looking for host families to host foreign exchange students for the 2017-2018 school year.Audio Playerhttp://wrbiradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PAX-1.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.That’s PAX’s Sheryl Soendlin.PAX is looking for married couples with or without children, divorced, or empty nesters.There is no fee to apply or to become a host family, but volunteers don’t get paid to host either.A family in any of the school districts in Ripley, Franklin, Decatur, or Dearborn county can host through PAX.The schools would like to have students placed by the end of the school year.Audio Playerhttp://wrbiradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PAX-2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.For more information call Sheryl at (812) 663-9414.last_img read more

Kelly Cross, women’s lacrosse player that crashed into Mount steps, no longer enrolled at SU

first_img Published on August 20, 2015 at 3:18 pm Contact Chris: [email protected] | @ChrisLibonati Kelly Cross, the women’s lacrosse player driving the car that hit the Mount Olympus steps in late March is no longer enrolled at Syracuse University, an SU Athletics spokeswoman confirmed.Cross, a junior midfielder, crashed a white Ford Explorer into four support poles, sending a newspaper box about 25 feet. The crash was reported at 2:27 a.m., and Cross checked into Upstate Hospital between 2:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. The cause of the crash is still unknown. The morning of the crash, a DPS officer said Cross was lucky to be alive. The stairs closed temporarily for repairs, but eventually reopened.Four days after the crash, Cross was indefinitely suspended and did not play any games with SU after her suspension. She was not allowed to travel to with the team, but was allowed to practice.“Kids may make mistakes, but we still stick behind them and we don’t isolate them and throw them to the curb,” SU head coach Gary Gait said.Cross had started every game for the Orange until her crash and had been fourth on the team in goals (14), assists (six) and points (20) at the time of the crash. Cross’ sister, Julie Cross, had committed to play women’s lacrosse at SU, but it could not be confirmed whether she is still enrolled at SU. A freshman named Julie Cross is listed on Syracuse University’s directory, however.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textTwo calls to the Cross family have gone unanswered. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Raiders bring back wide receiver Keelan Doss from Alameda High

first_imgOne day after getting rid of a wide receiver who starred on HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” the Raiders brought another one back.Keelan Doss of UC-Davis by way of Alameda High, one of the feel-good stories during the Raiders’ docuseries, rejoined the Raiders on Sunday.Through a Raiders source, the Bay Area News Group confirmed the initial report of Doss’ signing by Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network. Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device. “Happy to be …last_img

‘Teach your children about their rights’

first_img7 March 2014The government has encouraged South African parents and communities at large to educate their children on their rights during this year’s Human Rights month.Section 28 of South Africa’s Constitution a is devoted to children and outlines the rights that they are entitled to.“It is important that children are cognisant of their rights,” acting Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) CEO Phumla Williams said in Pretoria on Friday, calling on parents, communities and children to engage in conversations around children’s rights, and to teach children to speak up when they feel that their rights have been violated.“Parents should continually engage their children about issues such as rape, inappropriate touching, bullying, violence and abuse, amongst others,” Williams said. “The important step is for a child to report any incident or behaviour that may be associated with the infringement of their rights.”Children are encouraged to report such incidents to parents, teachers, or any person that they trust. Children can also call Childline on 08 000 55 555.Williams said the government had gone to great lengths to ensure that laws and other mechanisms were in place to safeguard children’s rights.“There are also government-led outreach initiatives that educate the public on the rights of children. However, parents and communities also play an integral part in punting the message.”Call to celebrate Human Rights DayOn Thursday, meanwhile, the Cabinet called on South Africans to celebrate Human Rights Day on 21 March. This year’s Human Rights Day will be held under the theme: “Celebrating 20 years of changing lives through human rights”.President Jacob Zuma is expected to address the main Human Rights Day celebration in Sharpeville, Gauteng – the scene of the Sharpeville Massacre of 21 March 1960, when police opened fire on unarmed people protesting against apartheid’s pass laws, killing 69 and injuring 180 others.South Africa declared 21 March a public holiday in 1994, following the inauguration of former president Nelson Mandela.“Cabinet calls on South Africans to celebrate living in a country that guarantees that never again will humanity be taken from any South African, irrespective of their race, gender, creed or sexual orientation,” Williams told reporters in Pretoria on Thursday following the Cabinet’s latest meeting.“We all have a responsibility to ensure that our human rights record and history are preserved and strengthened for future generations.”Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

‘Not a god’: Federer tops cramping Youzhny in 5 sets at Open

first_imgLacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ MOST READ Resurrection Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Roger Federer, of Switzerland, returns a shot from Mikhail Youzhny, of Russia, during the second round of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017, in New York. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)NEW YORK — A bad back prevented Roger Federer from getting ready for the U.S. Open the way he prefers to prepare for a Grand Slam tournament. And it’s showed so far.Federer blamed a lack of proper practice after making an uncharacteristic 68 unforced errors and being forced to go five sets again before coming back to edge a cramping Mikhail Youzhny 1-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 on Thursday in Arthur Ashe Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Afterward, Youzhny chuckled at the mention of having lost all 17 matches against Federer, even leaning back in his chair and joking about how he would have completed the upset if Grand Slam rules were different: “I beat him in three sets now — but we played five sets. But come on, if we played three sets, I already beat him!”Federer, naturally, preferred to look at matters from a different perspective.“I find my way,” he said. “I don’t panic.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side The No. 3-seeded Federer won five consecutive U.S. Open championships from 2004-08 and also was the runner-up twice, including two years ago. But he missed last year’s tournament while taking off the second half of the season to let his back and surgically repaired left knee fully heal.That back, an off-and-on issue for years, flared up again while Federer was losing in the final of the Montreal Masters in August. He didn’t get to fully work on returns or serves, in particular, as the U.S. Open approached. That lack of training and the resulting lack of timing — rather than pain from his back — is what Federer said caused him problems Tuesday night in the first round against 19-year-old American Frances Tiafoe and again against Youzhny, a former top-10 player who reached the 2006 and 2010 U.S. Open semifinals but is now ranked 101st.“I’m pretty confident that I’m only going to get better from here. That’s a good thing,” Federer said. “Because I’ve played a lot, I definitely found some rhythm now.”He did falter repeatedly Thursday, though.Federer let a lead slip away in the second set and got broken while serving for it at 5-4.“He helped me to come back,” Youzhny said.Federer stumbled again while serving for the fourth set at 5-3, but responded to a break there by breaking right back.Still, Federer’s unforced errors continued to mount in the fifth set — 11 in the first four games alone, including a badly shanked forehand on his first break point at 2-1, a netted backhand on his second, and a long forehand to let Youzhny hold there. Eventually, Federer nosed ahead, aided by the considerable dip in the 35-year-old Youzhny’s level of play.While Federer played his first-round match Tuesday under the roof in Ashe, Youzhny’s opener was postponed until Wednesday because of rain, and he blamed that for his fatigue. His legs started cramping late in the third set Thursday and then reached other parts of his body, even his fingers, by the end. That made it hard to move forward or to jump normally while serving.At 1-all in the deciding set, Youzhny collapsed to the court, grabbing at his right leg after whiffing on an attempted swat at Federer’s lob. Youzhny stayed down for a few moments, then grimaced and limped around for the rest of that game. Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games “He’s also a real man who plays tennis,” Youzhny noted. “He’s not a god.”Well, OK, that’s true. But remember: Federer did not drop a single set en route to his record eighth Wimbledon championship in July. And that he is 37-3 with five titles, including two at majors to raise his record total to 19.Second on that list, with 15, is No. 1-seeded Rafael Nadal, who was scheduled to face Taro Daniel of Japan in Ashe on Thursday night. That followed 20th-seeded American CoCo Vandeweghe’s match against Ons Jabeur of Tunisia under the lights.Two seeded women lost to Americans in the afternoon: Shelby Rogers edged No. 25 Daria Gavrilova 7-6 (6), 4-6, 7-6 (5) in a tournament-record 3 hours, 33 minutes, and Jennifer Brady eliminated No. 23 Barbora Strycova 6-1, 6-1.A couple of seeded men departed, too: No. 7 Grigor Dimitrov and No. 15 Tomas Berdych, the 2010 Wimbledon runner-up.ADVERTISEMENT It is the first time in his long career that the 36-year-old Federer has played five-setters in both the first and second rounds at a major tournament.“I knew I was going to maybe struggle early on. Maybe I struggled more than I would have liked to. But I’m still in the draw, which gives me a chance. I still believe I’m going to pick up my game and become just more consistent because I’m not playing all that bad,” Federer said. “It’s just that I’m going a bit up and down in waves throughout the match.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingGiven that Federer entered the day with a 16-0 career record against Youzhny and a 16-0 mark in the U.S. Open’s second round, one might have thought that their match would be a mismatch.Think again. Biggest Pogo service provider padlocked for tax evasion LATEST STORIES View commentslast_img read more