Across India, more than a dozen labourers Reuters spoke to returning home said they had been left with little choice other than to attempt to walk back to their home villages after work – and public transport – vanished.Mamata Banerjee, chief minister of the eastern state of West Bengal, wrote on Thursday to the heads of other Indian states, saying that manual workers were facing “an hour of crisis”.Vinod Hathila, 39, a manual worker in Surat, a city in the western state of Gujarat, left for his home town on Wednesday, walking for hours along railway tracks with his 15-year-old son until he found a bus.With no work, he said he doesn’t know how he will support his family during the lockdown.”I’ll probably borrow some money on interest from someone,” he said.Ashok Punjabi, who heads a construction workers’ union in Gujarat, said 60,000-70,000 people working as domestic helps and in other unorganized sectors in the Gujarati city of Ahmedabad, had headed to homes in neighboring Rajasthan after the 21-day lockdown was announced, many on foot and carrying their possessions.”To see young children and women being forced to walk hundreds of kilometers like this is just sad,” said Punjabi, who is also a senior opposition party member in the state.Kuldeep Arya, a senior official in the Gujarati state capital of Gandhinagar, said 4,000 people had been provided with food and water while trying to return home.There were similar scenes in India’s capital New Delhi, where hundreds of migrants walked down deserted highways to neighboring Uttar Pradesh this week.”For two days the ration guys were not giving us any food, we were hungry for two days. So we decided, ‘let us go to our parents’,” said Raju, a 24-year old migrant worker walking from Noida, a satellite town of Delhi, to Agra, nearly 200 km away.”Since there’s no transport available, we decided to walk all the way.” Topics : After India imposed a 21-day nationwide lockdown on Tuesday to prevent the spread of coronavirus, the plywood factory near Uttar Pradesh’s state capital Lucknow where Surendra Pandey works was forced to shut down.On Thursday morning, with no way of earning a living, the 28-year-old labor set off on a 110-kilometer walk back to his home village.”I tried catching a bus or truck yesterday, but there is no transport available on the road, so I decided to walk,” he told Reuters, some 30 km into his journey. “There is no food available on the roads but thankfully a few citizens offer us food, biscuits and water. It’s better to be home than to be here in the city without food and water.”Officials say the shutdown of all but essential services is necessary to beat coronavirus in the densely populated country of 1.3 billion people, with health infrastructure that can ill-afford a widespread outbreak. India has so far reported more than 600 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 13 deaths.India’s government announced on Thursday a $22.6 billion economic stimulus plan that provides direct cash transfers and food security.But for India’s estimated 120 million migrant labourers, the shutdown is a crisis, as wages dry up and many cannot afford the rent or even food in the cities.
6/455 Adelaide St, Brisbane sold under the hammer for $3.277 millionBRISBANE’S property market is hitting its straps with homes selling faster, good prices being achieved and the high end continuing to fire.New figures reveal statewide the auction market alone chalked up more than $91 million worth of sales in the past week.According to Real Estate Institute of Queensland figures, $91,000,800 worth of property sold at auction, with the median auction price more than $880,000.A Ray White auction event on Tuesday night, saw 15 properties go under the hammer for about $25 million. A further two sold shortly after. INVESTORS EYE OFF SOUTHEAST QLD PROPERTY Ray White Queensland CEO Tony Warland, said while he didn’t like to predict what would happen in the future at the moment all the indicators were good.“Property is moving really quickly, the high end is going really well and the days on market is reducing,’’ he said.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home4 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor4 hours agoCEO of Ray White Queensland Tony Warland said the Brisbane market was performing well at the moment.“We are seeing good prices and we are experiencing people bidding over reserve which is another good indicator.“The Brisbane market has been above steady and of course it has not been so erratic like some of the other markets in the last 12 months.’’Mr Warland said the one issue in the market at the moment was a lack of stock which made competition for property stronger. Suzie O’Neill’s Yeronga renovator sold for $3 million. Picture: Mark Calleja“The market has gone from 108,000 sales (in the year to April 2016) to 101,000 (in the year to April 2017),’’ he said.“So we have had less sales but more money in the market.’’At the Ray White, auction on Tuesday night properties sold for solid prices including an inner city Adelaide St penthouse which went for $3.277 million and swimmer Susie O’Neill’s Yeronga renovator for $3 million.Ascot based agent, Mikki Finlay is so confident the high end market was going to continue to fire that she has returned to her boutique agency Premium Residential.
Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoWorld’s Most Delicious Foods7 Reasons Why You Might Want To Become A VegetarianHow They Made Little Simba Look So Lifelike in ‘The Lion King’Insane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art6 Best Natural History Museums In The WorldYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?6 TV Shows That Got Better After A Major Character Had Left7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better Read Also: BREAKING: Man City crash out of UCL as Dembele strikes Among other measures set to be introduced, fans will enter and exit the stadium in one-way zones and will be socially distant in the stands. The Premier League season is due to begin on September 12. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Premier League chiefs could welcome fans back into their stadiums sooner rather than later. The British government had planned to allow spectators back into sporting venues across the country in October. According to the Sun, the Premier League is planning to allow supporters to attend matches, but they won’t be allowed to chant or shout. Fans will also be advised not to attend matches if they or anyone they have been in contact with either tests positive for coronavirus or has coronavirus symptoms.Advertisement Loading…
JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photoLast weekend, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team was thrown abruptly into the opening of the 2008-09 season. Facing No. 1 Boston College and then-No. 7 New Hampshire was not the easiest way to start the year.Things won’t be getting much easier for the Badgers (0-2) this weekend as they travel to Denver to face the No. 4 Pioneers (1-0).The two teams have a bit of history behind them. It was this past January when UW’s Matthew Ford appeared to score a goal with fractions of a second remaining. But referee Randy Schmidt viewed the replay and disallowed the goal, saying time had expired.As bitter as the situation may have been then, goaltender Shane Connelly said he and the team have put it behind them.“I think everyone’s moved on from that,” Connelly said.Even if they’ve moved on, that’s not to say that game is completely forgotten.“You always remember from last year Ford’s goal that got disallowed,” sophomore forward Patrick Johnson said.Instead, it may be a more recent meeting between these two schools that could add intensity to the weekend series — if any additional incentive was needed. Wisconsin ousted Denver from last year’s NCAA playoffs with a 6-2 win at the Kohl Center in late March. The win kept UW alive but ended DU’s season.“They could be using that for motivation,” Connelly said. “I just think the natural element of two WCHA teams starting league play is enough motivation for anybody.”While Connelly is in his second year between the pipes for the Badgers, the Pioneers have a new man in net after the graduation of goalie Peter Mannino. Sophomore Marc Cheverie has assumed that role for the Pioneers and stopped 23 of the 25 shots he faced in DU’s opening weekend win against Notre Dame.For the Badgers, putting the puck on the net to pressure the young netminder will be the goal.“Just fire shots on him; that’s all you can do,” Johnson said. “See where he’s weak and see where you can tire him out.”On the offensive side of the puck, Denver boasts a potent scoring attack, led by Tyler Bozak, whose 34 points were a team high a year ago. The Pioneers lost Brock Trotter, a 13-goal scorer last season, but they return junior Rhett Rakhshani (28 points).“They’re highly offensive,” Connelly said. “They’re talented all over, but they’ve got a lot of forwards who can put the puck in the net. They’re dangerous on the attack.”For a unit that gave up 10 goals in its first two games, Wisconsin knows it needs to shore up its defense.“Our ‘D’ meetings we had before the season started, we don’t want to give up two or three goals a game, so that was definitely something we took note of,” sophomore defenseman Ryan McDonagh said. “We have to look at what happened on each play and learn from it and make sure everybody’s on the same page.”Part of the defensive struggles in the opening weekend may have been a result of inexperience. Three freshmen blueliners — Jake Gardiner, Ryan Little and Eric Springer — all saw action in at least one of the two games. While all three contributed offensively, there were lapses on the other end that Connelly knows will improve with time.“Everyone knew we were young and there were going to be some mistakes, but at the same time, I thought there were some good strides,” Connelly said. “We really looked like the better team and the more experienced team at times during the game. Our youth showed against two upperclassmen-filled teams.”UW’s freshmen don’t have the luxury of being eased into the WCHA season by playing a handful of exhibition games. Instead, they’ve been thrown right into the fire, having just one week to prepare.“It’s a tough place to play in their first weekend of college hockey,” Connelly said. “They have a ton of talent. I trust that they’re going to get better. We just need to be patient.”After Denver, Wisconsin returns home to take on Minnesota. Then, they’re back on the road against North Dakota. Not an easy first month in any sense, but the Badgers are just fine with how the schedule is set up.“We want to see where we’re at right now,” McDonagh said. “We’re playing right next to these top teams in the league, so we want to continue to get better and start winning these games.”
Twenty-year-old Randy Bowen of Lot 184 Duncan Street, Newtown Kitty was on Friday remanded to prison until August 3 after he was arraigned before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan on a charge of robbery under arms.A serving member of the Guyana Police Force, Bowen pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him.It is alleged that on July 25, 2018, while on Regent Street, Georgetown and in the company of another, Bowen attempted to rob Rajkumar Rupa.According to the facts presented to the court, on the day in question, at 14:45h, Rupa was an occupant of a Route 40 minibus, and the duo and another male were also passengers in the bus, when Bowen whipped out a chopper and demanded that Rupa hand over the bag he was carrying.The Prosecution is contending that Rupa refused the demand and hurriedly exited the bus, later making a report to the Brickdam Police Station. The accused was subsequently arrested and charged.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield objected to Bowen being placed on bail, citing the serious nature of the offence.The prosecution’s objections were upheld, and Bowen was remanded.The matter will continue on August 3.