West Hempstead Rape, Kidnapping Suspect Arrested

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A suspect was arrested Monday for allegedly kidnapping and raping a 21-year-old woman at gunpoint in West Hempstead three months ago, Nassau County police said.Levar Burton was charged with kidnapping, first-degree rape and sexual abuse. The 24-year-old Amityville man was also charged last week with robbery and sexual abuse stemming from a case in Great Neck earlier this month. And now investigators are asking any other potential victims that might have been targeted by the suspect to come forward.“This individual is misguided,” Det. Lt. Richard LeBrun, a Nassau police spokesman, told reporters during a news conference Tuesday at police headquarters. “His actions are reprehensible.”Police alleged that Burton was masked and armed with a handgun when he approached the first victim on Terminal Road, forced her to drive to an unknown location and sexually assaulted her at 4 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 27.The suspect fled the scene on foot in an unknown direction. The victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment.Then, at 4:15 a.m. Tuesday, March 7, Burton approached a 37-year-old woman from behind while the victim was walking on Middle Neck Road, demanded money from the victim and touched her inappropriately before stealing two phones from her and fleeing the scene, police said.LeBrun said that Burton threatened both victims and there was evidence that linked the cases, but he could not be more specific. The suspect worked as a newspaper delivery driver for MRG Distribution, but that it was unclear whether Burton was on the clock at the time of the attacks, he added.He was released last week on $100,000 bail before being arrested Monday for the December incident. Burton will be arraigned Tuesday on the new charges at First District Court in Hempstead.Special Victims Squad detectives ask anyone with information regarding this suspect to call them at 516-573-4022.  All callers will remain anonymous.last_img read more

Honduras capture Copa Centroamericana crown

first_imgHONDURAS, (4W-1D-0L, 13 points), completed their 2017 Copa Centroamericana campaign unbeaten thanks to a 1-0 win over Belize (0-1-4, 1), finishing atop the six-team table and capturing their fourth-ever title.Eddie Hernandez struck for the lone goal in the second half, giving him a tournament-best three and eliminating Belize from contention.It is a fourth-ever Copa title for the Hondurans, who also lifted the trophy in 1993, 1995 and 2011. Costa Rica, who won the previous two editions, hold the record with eight championships.A scoreless first half gave way to end-to-end action in the last 45 minutes.In the 52nd minute, after waves of attacks, Honduras nearly went ahead, but Oscar Salas’ effort from outside the box crashed off the crossbar.Four minutes later, though, Hernandez finally broke through. From the right wing, Marcelo Canales delivered a left-footed cross into Belize’s six-yard box. Hernandez controlled beautifully with his left foot and then jabbed the ball into the back of the net with his right.The Belizeans, though, refused to quit and nearly equalised in the 68th minute, only for Deon McCaulay to hit the woodwork.Seconds later, Honduras raced down the field and Michael Chirinos’ bid to double the lead went just wide of the right post.Belize goalkeeper Woodrow West prevented the Hondurans from netting an insurance goal, saving an Erick Andino attempt in the 72nd minute.last_img read more

Copa America : Guerrero hat-trick seals semifinal berth for Peru

first_imgPeru set up a Copa America semi-final clash against Chile, with Paolo Guerrero netting a hat-trick to deliver a comprehensive last eight 3-1 win over Bolivia.Ricardo Gareca’s side dominated throughout and were good value for their lead when Guerrero scored his first after 20 minutes. And the Flamengo striker doubled his side’s lead with a composed finish on the counter attack just three minutes later.And Guerrero capped his side’s quarter-final victory with a third after 74 minutes, making the most of a slack Bolivian pass along the defensive line to slot home. Bolivia clawed one back from the penalty spot, with Marcelo Moreno converting, but it proved to be nothing more than just consolation.Peru will now face hosts Chile in the semi final of the competiton.–last_img

Attorney: Shelly Sterling wants to keep Clippers

first_imgShelly Sterling, left, wife of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, watches from a courtside seat during the second half of Game 4 of an opening-round NBA basketball playoff series between the Clippers and Golden State Warriors, April 27, 2014: (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)LOS ANGELES (AP) — The estranged wife of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling will fight to retain her 50 percent ownership stake in the team, her lawyer said Thursday, adding an unwanted twist to the NBA’s plan to force new ownership on the franchise.Shelly Sterling’s attorney, Pierce O’Donnell, said his client “will not agree to a forced or involuntary seizure of her interest.”“As her lawyers we will fight vigorously to defend her property rights,” he said.O’Donnell said Mrs. Sterling has no interest in managing the Clippers and wants a new investor group to come in with a professional management team.O’Donnell also told The Associated Press that Shelly Sterling has been separated from her husband for the last year and is considering divorce. There is no record of legal separation documents being filed, though O’Donnell said the couple is living apart.Last week, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver banned Donald Sterling from the NBA for life and urged league owners to force him to sell the team. The move came after a recording surfaced in which Sterling made racist comments, telling friend V. Stiviano that he didn’t want her to bring black people to Clippers games.At a news conference announcing the decision, Silver said no decision had been made regarding whether Mrs. Sterling or any other members of the Sterling family will be allowed to retain an ownership position.O’Donnell said he spoke with NBA officials Thursday morning but declined to elaborate. He said Mrs. Sterling has been working cooperatively with Silver and his staff and supported his announcement seeking a new chief executive officer for the team and the NBA’s decision to place longtime team President Andy Roeser on leave.O’Donnell said Mrs. Sterling “abhors” her husband’s comments and that Silver had “exonerated” Mrs. Sterling in his statement last week. Silver said the decision only involved Donald Sterling and his actions.“We abhor guilt by association in America,” O’Donnell said. “The sins of the husband cannot be imputed to the wife or children.”Shelly and Donald Sterling faced allegations that they discriminated against tenants based on race in Los Angeles according to a lawsuit filed by U.S. Department of Justice in 2006. The Sterlings, who at the time owned and managed about 119 apartment buildings or 5,000 apartments throughout Los Angeles County, agreed to settle the suit for $2.725 million.The settlement also included two suits filed by former tenants at one of the properties, including an African-American family and an interracial married couple with biracial children, who alleged the Sterlings demolished their private yards among other actions because of their race, according to the Justice Department.“The charges against her by former tenants are false, unfounded and were never ever determined to be valid in a court of law,” O’Donnell said. He said the case was settled without any admission of liability. “She doesn’t have a racist bone in her body,” O’Donnell said.Clippers coach Doc Rivers said Thursday at the team’s training facility that “it would be a very hard situation” if Shelly retained her portion of ownership in the team.“I guarantee you every person wouldn’t be on board with that,” Rivers said. “Whether I would or not, I’m not going to say.”O’Donnell said Mrs. Sterling hasn’t been asked to stay away from games and will not. She is an ardent Clippers fan and plans to attend Friday night’s playoff game against Oklahoma City. Rivers said “that’s her choice. She can be a ticket buyer or whatever.”Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, a former NBA All-Star guard who was asked to serve as a spokesman for NBA players after the Sterling scandal broke, did not immediately return a call seeking comment on Mrs. Sterling’s plan to remain an owner.___AP Sports Writer Beth Harris in Los Angeles, and AP writers Anthony McCartney in Los Angeles and Juliet Williams in Sacramento contributed to this report.___Tami Abdollah can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/latamslast_img read more