The 21st Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards took place on January 25, and faces familiar to theater lovers dominated the podium. Of the 10 acting awards given to individuals, nine went to Broadway alums (four of whom are also Tony Award winners). View Comments Additionally, Tony nominee and movie musical darling Debbie Reynolds was honored with the SAG Life Achievement Award. Two-time Tony winner Viola Davis took home the award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series for her performance as Annalise Keating in How to Get Away with Murder. Among other small screen victors were Tony winners Kevin Spacey for House of Cards and Olive Kiterridge star Frances McDormand. Broadway alums Uzo Aduba, Mark Ruffalo and William H. Macy took home trophies for their performances in Orange is the New Black, the HBO adaptation of the Tony-winning The Normal Heart and Shameless, respectively. Stage faves were also will represented in the film categories; Tony winner Eddie Redmayne and Broadway alum Julianne Moore won Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role for The Theory of Everything and Still Alice. J.K. Simmons—also a Broadway vet—won the Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role for Whiplash. All this just means that Patricia Arquette, who won for her supporting performance in Boyhood, needs to join her peers eventually on the Great White Way. The cast of the Broadway-centric Birdman were recognized in the Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture. Among other ensembles to take home awards were that of Downton Abbey, Orange is the New Black, Unbroken and Game of Thrones (the latter two for stunts).
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The general counsel for New York State Sen. Dean Skelos (R-Rockville Centre) brokered a meeting between the state Department of Health and a company employing the senator’s son without disclosing that link, a witness said.James Clancy, a former deputy state Health Department commissioner who was at the meeting, said Elizabeth Garvey, one of the senator’s top attorneys, first contacted him about setting up a sit-down between AbTech Industries and agency staffers who were reviewing the environmental health impacts of fracking before it was banned in New York last year, Clancy testified Wednesday at the senator and son’s corruption trial at Manhattan federal court.“Find it curious that [state] senate Republican is reaching out to me directly,” Clancy wrote in an email to his colleagues and members of the governor’s staff on Jan. 28, 2014, according to court testimony. Concerned with the potentially controversial nature of the request, the next day he also forwarded the lawyer’s email to another one of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s aides, adding: “This is a biggie.”Arizona-based AbTech is one of three companies that the former state Senate Majority Leader allegedly coerced $300,000 from in the form of no-show jobs for his son, Adam, in exchange for illegally manipulating legislation. Both men deny the accusations.Clancy said he told Garvey, counsel to the state senate’s GOP majority, which Skelos led at the time, that Clancy would talk to his department colleagues and find out if such a meeting was “deemed to be appropriate.” After a back and forth, AbTech got the meeting on May 2, 2014, when company representatives pitched their product’s ability to filter fracking waste water. The issue was important because one of the issues being debated in Albany was whether fracking waste water would be trucked from well sites—clogging upstate roads with countless big rigs—or recycled on-site using filters such as AbTech’s. Late last year, Cuomo decided to ban fracking.Sen. Skelos’ defense attorney, Robert Gage, asked Clancy about another email that the deputy commissioner had sent to his colleagues in which he said it “sounded legit” and “I’m feeling OK about it.” Gage also asked “if anything inappropriate had occurred” in the meeting—such as AbTech’s representatives asking about fracking regulations or asking for a permit—and whether that would have triggered Clancy to “shut it down.” Clancy said yes, but the hour-long meeting ended without issue.Prosecutors subsequently asked Clancy if he knew how Skelos’ general counsel had found out about AbTech. Clancy said he didn’t know. Prosecutors also followed up to ask if Clancy knew that the senator’s son stood to potentially make money off AbTech’s fracking waste-water filters, if such drilling were legalized in the state and if AbTech secured those contracts. Again, Clancy said he didn’t.After Clancy testified, Kelly Ann Cummings, the spokeswoman for the state senate’s GOP majority, took the stand, but questions didn’t get beyond the biographical before the judge adjourned the case for the day. Her testimony is scheduled to continue Thursday.
Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he has a soft spot for Paolo Di Canio. “As I wrote the other week, he wears his heart on his sleeve and I like his football philosophy, wanting to play the ball on the ground rather than in the air. “I have this picture in my mind of him being in the technical area pointing to the sky and then the ground in an effort to get his players to keep the ball down. “He has a tough challenge on his hands with his fight to keep Sunderland in the Premier League.” Di Canio faces a baptism of fire at Chelsea on Sunday afternoon, when defeat would send Sunderland hurtling into the relegation zone should Wigan beat QPR. Press Association Di Canio’s appointment as Sunderland manager has been overshadowed by the furore over his links to fascism, which after three days of hot debate, finally triggered a statement from him in which he denied supporting the ideology. Ferguson has not got involved in that particular argument. However, speaking to United Review ahead of Manchester United’s derby encounter with City on Monday, Ferguson said he does like Di Canio’s management philosophy. “I must confess to a liking for the fellow and his approach to the game,” said Ferguson.
“It can be for different reasons, whether it is physical or tactical, but that can change every week.” Regarding the summer, Pellegrini was unwilling to discuss what changes might take place at the Etihad Stadium. The 61-year-old, whose own future has been the subject of speculation, said: “We are just planning how to win at Crystal Palace on Monday. We are not talking about next season – nothing beyond the next game.” City have again been linked with Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling – a player Pellegrini recently suggested could be worth £100million – after the England international’s contract talks at Anfield apparently stalled. Pellegrini was not interested in discussing the reports. He said: “The other day I said just one English player but it doesn’t mean we are interested in (that) player. “I will not talk about rumours. We have so many rumours about so many players coming here that it is impossible to have so big a squad.” Key midfielder Yaya Toure is likely to return to the side at Selhurst Park after missing the 3-0 defeat of West Brom with an Achilles injury. Pellegrini said: “Yaya played both games for Ivory Coast so he doesn’t have any problems.” The defender’s difficult season took another turn for the worse as he was sent off playing for Belgium in midweek. That came after a series of indifferent performances and mistakes for City, some of which led to him being left on the bench for a game against Leicester last month. Pellegrini said: “I don’t worry about Vincent because I know him. He knows perfectly in the way he must play. “I don’t know about the sending off because I didn’t see it but I think he improved a lot with our team in the last game so I don’t worry about him. There are not any problems.” Kompany was at fault for a goal conceded in the loss at Liverpool on March 1 and his subsequent omission for the visit of Leicester fuelled reports of a dressing-room row with team-mate Fernandinho. The 28-year-old has been back in the side for the past three games but the scrutiny of his form – and that of several team-mates – has not eased. City now look unlikely to retain their Barclays Premier League crown and it has been claimed the club could be preparing to make major changes to the squad in the summer. One player under the microscope has been playmaker Samir Nasri, who was left out of the squad to face West Brom altogether last time out after a poor showing in the previous game at Barcelona. But Pellegrini, speaking at a press conference to preview Monday’s trip to Crystal Palace, played down the reasons for his absence. The Chilean said: “He is a player of our squad. In this moment we have the complete squad fit, so when you have the complete squad fit you must have two or three names out of the squad list in the next game. Press Association Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns about captain Vincent Kompany’s form or state of mind.
On June 7, exactly 23 years ago, probably the best European basketball player of all times Dražen Petrović was killed in a car accident near Ingolstadt, on the highway Frankfurt – Munich.Dražen was born on 22nd of October 1964 and he debuted for Šibenka at the age of 15. He soon became the main player in his team. When he was 18 years old, he won the title of the champion of Yugoslavia, a title which was taken away soon because the Basketball Federation of Yugoslavia cancelled the match against Bosna on April 9, 1983, the match which Šibenka won with the result of 83:82.Dražen always mentioned Dragan Kićanović, another European basketball legend, as his idol, and initially he refused to go to Cibona because “he did not want to kick his brother Aleksandar out of the game” and he preferred going to Partizan to play with the legendary Kićo. However, eventually he ended up in Zagreb.Petrović won two European champion titles with Cibona and Real was his favorite customer. In the victory in the finals of the Cup of European Champions in 1985, when Cibona won with 87:78, Dražen scored the least points to the Kings – 36 points. In other matches against the team from Madrid, he regularly exceeded 40 points.Cibona promised a spectacle to the spectators who come to watch the match against Olimpija in the first round of the Yugoslav league, and Dražen took care of that. The Mozart broke the previous record in the number of scored points set by Radivoj Korać by 38 points! In the victory of Cibona with 158:77, Petrović scored unbelievable 112 points, which is a record that will probably never be broken at the territory of the former Yugoslavia.After he destroyed the chances of Real for winning the European champion title in 1986 as well, officials of the Spanish giant opted for the only move that they had left – to fork out and bring the best European player at the moment. They waited for Petrović’s “yes” until 1988, and Dražen played only one season in Madrid.After the season in Spain, Dražen was ready for NBA. Portland had already chosen him in 1986, and at the age of 26 Dražen was full of self-confidence and he expected the same domination in NBA as he had in Europe. He was under contract with Real for three more years, but the Blazers paid the then one and a half million dollars to the team from Madrid, which was an enormous amount. For comparison, Jordan’s wage that season amounted to two million dollars!Although he went to the NBA very optimistic, Dražen played only ten minutes on average, which was not satisfying for him. In the end, after only 18 matches in his second season he talked with the coach Rick Adelman and told him to give him a chance to play, or he will leave. The answer is obvious. “I have never been on the bench in my career, and I will not be on the bench in Portland either, even if they were champions. I want to play, and if I have to go to the weakest team to do it, I am leaving right now,” Dražen said and left to New Jersey.The Mozart played his last match in Wroclaw on June 6, 1993, in qualifications for the EURO 1993 against the team of Slovenia. His father Jole told him he should not play that qualifying tournament because he had an injury of the ankle joint, but the captain of Croatia did not want to let his teammates play without him. On the fatal June 7, he headed home with his team, in the war-affected Croatia.“We were going to the Frankfurt airport and Dražen suddenly stopped and said: ‘See you at the training tomorrow, I have a ride to Zagreb’. I gave him the plane ticket and told him to come with us if he changes his mind. We got on the plane and waited for him for 40 minutes. Then his brother Aleksandar came and told us that Dražen left,” said Mirko Novosel.The rest of the team and the delegation took off in that plane, and Dražen headed towards Munich with his girlfriend Klara and her friend Hilal Edebal. Around 5:20 pm, on the highway near Ingolstadt the red Golf which Klara drove crashed into a truck which came out of the opposite lane. Dražen was sleeping on the passenger seat and was the only one who passed away due to consequences of the terrifying collision. (Source: klix.ba/photo: realmadridbalkan.org)
Despite drizzling conditions during the heats, the home crowd stood behind team PNG swimmers all the way.PNG’s Golden boy Ryan Pini, Samuel Seghers, Tkatchnoko sisters Savannah and Ebony and Tegan McCarthy qualified in their respective heats.Pini clocked fastest in the men’s 50m freestyle breaking another record with 23.21 seconds while Samuel Seghers finished fifth in the same hit behind Tahiti, Fiji and New Caledonia.He also qualified for the men’s 100m backstroke ahead of Tahiti on 58.94 seconds.Savannah Tkatchenko put up a strong fight against New Caledonian pool queen Lara Grangeon finishing 4th overall in the Women’s 200m medley.She clocked in 2 minutes, 24 seconds while her younger sister Ebony Tkatchenko finished sixth overall with 2 minutes, 41 seconds.Tegan McCarthy finished fourth in Women’s 100m butterfly on 1 minute, 8 seconds.She finished behind New Caledonia’s Lara Grangeon and Fiji’s Adi Kinisimere Naivulu and Tieri Erasito.The finals commence at 6 this evening.Pic 1: Savannah Tkatchenko and New Caledonia’s Lara Grangeon take the pool in a close encounter.Pic 2: Pini finish 1st in the Men’s 100m backstroke well ahead of Tahiti with strong support from the crowd.