Michael Schumacher to undergo another surgery

first_imgRelatedPosts Hamilton wins Tuscan Grand Prix Uzoho undergoes successful surgery Schumacher regains consciousness in Paris hospital Seven-time Formula 1 Champion, Michael Schumacher will soon undergo another surgery as part of his treatment with heart stem cells.The family of the former Formula 1 world champion, who maintained absolute secrecy about the state of health of the driver, victim of a serious skiing accident in December 2013 in Méribel (Savoie), did not comment on this information. The French professor and cardiologist Philippe Menasché would be in charge of the intervention, which is part of the experimental treatment with cardiac stem cells that the German has been undergoing for the past year.“The aim is to regenerate Michael’s nervous system,” neurosurgeon Dr. Nicola Acciari told the Italian press, noting that the former Ferrari and Mercedes driver was suffering from muscle atrophy and osteoporosis.Last December, Schumacher was admitted to the continuous monitoring unit of the Cardiovascular Surgery Department of the Georges Pompidou European Hospital (Paris).He had consulted Philippe Menasché, a surgeon specialising in cell therapy for heart failure.Since the German champion’s accident, information has been very scarce. In June 2019, Jean Todt, a great friend of “Schumi”, especially since their joint stint with Ferrari, had mentioned Michael.“Michael is very well surrounded, he lives with his family in his house between Geneva and Lausanne. He continues to fight.”At the end of 2018, the former Scuderia Ferrari boss had already told Auto Bild Motorsport that he had watched an F1 Grand Prix (the one in Brazil) alongside “Schumi”.On December 29, 2013, his head hit a rock after a fall during a ski descent.He was in an artificial coma for four weeks and then returned to his home in Switzerland to be with his family. —Tags: MeribelMichael SchumacherPhilippe MenascheSurgerylast_img read more

Pellegrini unfazed by Kompany form

first_img “It can be for different reasons, whether it is physical or tactical, but that can change every week.” Regarding the summer, Pellegrini was unwilling to discuss what changes might take place at the Etihad Stadium. The 61-year-old, whose own future has been the subject of speculation, said: “We are just planning how to win at Crystal Palace on Monday. We are not talking about next season – nothing beyond the next game.” City have again been linked with Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling – a player Pellegrini recently suggested could be worth £100million – after the England international’s contract talks at Anfield apparently stalled. Pellegrini was not interested in discussing the reports. He said: “The other day I said just one English player but it doesn’t mean we are interested in (that) player. “I will not talk about rumours. We have so many rumours about so many players coming here that it is impossible to have so big a squad.” Key midfielder Yaya Toure is likely to return to the side at Selhurst Park after missing the 3-0 defeat of West Brom with an Achilles injury. Pellegrini said: “Yaya played both games for Ivory Coast so he doesn’t have any problems.” The defender’s difficult season took another turn for the worse as he was sent off playing for Belgium in midweek. That came after a series of indifferent performances and mistakes for City, some of which led to him being left on the bench for a game against Leicester last month. Pellegrini said: “I don’t worry about Vincent because I know him. He knows perfectly in the way he must play. “I don’t know about the sending off because I didn’t see it but I think he improved a lot with our team in the last game so I don’t worry about him. There are not any problems.” Kompany was at fault for a goal conceded in the loss at Liverpool on March 1 and his subsequent omission for the visit of Leicester fuelled reports of a dressing-room row with team-mate Fernandinho. The 28-year-old has been back in the side for the past three games but the scrutiny of his form – and that of several team-mates – has not eased. City now look unlikely to retain their Barclays Premier League crown and it has been claimed the club could be preparing to make major changes to the squad in the summer. One player under the microscope has been playmaker Samir Nasri, who was left out of the squad to face West Brom altogether last time out after a poor showing in the previous game at Barcelona. But Pellegrini, speaking at a press conference to preview Monday’s trip to Crystal Palace, played down the reasons for his absence. The Chilean said: “He is a player of our squad. In this moment we have the complete squad fit, so when you have the complete squad fit you must have two or three names out of the squad list in the next game. Press Association Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has no concerns about captain Vincent Kompany’s form or state of mind.last_img read more

O’Neill seeking win over Scotland

first_img He added with a smile: “But you may be right. We are down to kick off at 1pm – if the game finishes at 1.10pm, I’ll think you might have had a point.” Defender Marc Wilson, one of several players who was born in the North but opted to represent the Republic, is desperate to play some part on Thursday’s game and does not fear any backlash. He said: “That’s part and parcel of football, isn’t it? You get tackles and you’ve just got to take them and get on with it. Then hopefully when you get the chance, put your foot in and do the same.” Indeed, the 27-year-old Stoke player is keen to be involved in all three games, and is treating the Northern Ireland match as he would any other international fixture rather than just as a training game. He said: “I’d like to be involved in all the games if I could. As a football player that’s what you want. You want to play in every single game and I’m no different. “It’s a match. Definitely, it’s a match.” The Republic face Gordon Strachan’s men at the Aviva Stadium on June 13 having lost 1-0 in the reverse fixture in Glasgow in November last year, and a repeat would severely damage their hopes of closing the gap to Poland, Germany and the Scots, who are currently above them in Group D, from which two sides will qualify automatically. While there will still be plenty of football left to play whatever happens in Dublin this month, manager O’Neill is acutely aware of what a boost victory would provide. Martin O’Neill has left his Republic of Ireland players in little doubt that next weekend’s showdown with Scotland could go a long way towards deciding their Euro 2016 fate. He said: “First of all, I wouldn’t hide away from the fact that it’s a very important game for us. We’ve been beaten in Scotland and we’d like to win the return game, and it would give us a massive boost. “If we are beaten in the game, then of course it makes life a lot more difficult in terms of trying to qualify, but there is plenty of football to play. “There is always pressure on you to win games at this level and I think we should embrace that and not shy away from it.” To that end, Ireland will warm up for a game they cannot afford to lose with two friendlies, the first of them against neighbours Northern Ireland behind closed doors at the Aviva on Thursday, and then the eagerly-anticipated clash with England at the same venue on Sunday. It will be the first time the two sides have met in the city since the infamous night in 1995 when rioting England fans forced the abandonment of the last game, but while the fixture may be historic in that context, it is what it means in terms of preparation which matters more to O’Neill. He said: “I think it’s a really good game for us. It’s heightened the profile, and when it was arranged I was delighted as it gives us the opportunity to play a high-profile game and a high intensity game the week before [Scotland].” In the meantime, O’Neill will look to hone his team with a run-put against Michael O’Neill’s Northern Ireland squad away from prying eyes, and he will use it as an opportunity to get minutes under the belt for players such as Aiden McGeady, who missed much of the second half of Everton’s season through injury, and those men plying their trade in the Sky Bet Championship, most of whom finished their club commitments a month ago. Asked if there was an agreement between the two managers to take it easy on the pitch, the former Celtic boss said: “That shouldn’t really be a problem. I’m looking at this very positively.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Akwa Utd, Dana Seal Partnership in Uyo Â

first_imgAkwa United FC and Dana Airlines, at the weekend in Uyo officially sealed their sponsorship as airline of the foremost Nigerian Professional Football League team.In an impressive ceremony held at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Chief Operating Officer/Accountable Manager of Dana, Mr. Obi Mbanuzu, said his airline, a foremost player in the Nigerian aviation industry was delighted to partner one of Nigeria’s most exciting clubs.“The decision to partner Akwa United is not accidental.  Overtime, we have come to confirm the  team as one of Nigeria’s most exciting club side and their top position on the league table today confirms our research.“Add to that, the rewarding experience we have had flying in and out of Uyo, capital of a very hospitable state and friendly people so this is also a way of putting something back into a rewarding operational base,” he said.In his response, Senior Special Assistant to the Akwa Ibom State Governor on Sports and Chairman of Akwa United Football Club, Mr. Paul Bassey, promised to make the partnership ‘worth Dana’s while’.“Today is a very rewarding day for us.  There is no doubt that one of the most challenging tasks facing Premier League clubs in Nigeria is in the area of travels.“You can imagine leaving Uyo by road to go and play matches in Maiduguri, Bauchi, Yobe, Ilorin, Katsina, Nasarawa, Jos. In less than one month, two clubs have had accidents on the road.  We are only happy that no lives were lost.“That is why we are grateful today that Dana has come in to help uplift us to our matches.  It is a great relief,” the Akwa United FC chairman noted.Part of the sponsorship also sees Dana rewarding the player of the month to the tune of N200,000, a move that the chairman believes will help get the best out of the players on a weekly basis.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more