Aveo Springfield is running ahead of schedule thanks to strong interest from local over 50s.LOCALS are snapping up retirement living in Springfield, pushing construction ahead of schedule for what will eventually be Australia’s largest fully-integrated age-friendly retirement village. Aveo Springfield has had more than 300 sales inquiries with at least 80 per cent from savy locals for its $1 billion development which will eventually provide more than 2,500 dwellings and a range of facilities.Aveo’s executive general manager of development Gary Kordic said interest had been mainly from locals looking to retire close to their family and taking advantage of the first-class amenities on offer.“It’s great to see strong local interest from the Springfield area, with buyers attracted to theaccessible and interconnected village design with a range of lifestyle, health, and care services right at their doorstep,” he said.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor7 hours agoStage one of the development includes 66 independent living units in Building A, which will also house a dining and bar area, cafe, fully equipped gymnasium, specialist suit and hairdressers as well as a shared community recreational park which will be open to the general public. Aveo Springfield is leading the way in retirement living with locals wanting in.“Having been designed as a social and intergenerational community, Aveo Springfield will provide a supportive environment for residents with an array of living options, including a full-service aged care facility, to meet their long-term needs,” Mr Kordic said.With the project tracking strongly, it is set to welcome residents into the community from June, ahead of schedule.The retirement community is also set to be home to a child care centre giving retirees the chance to remain connected to their grandchildren and extended family throughout their retirement.Aveo Springfield is positioned in Springfield Central’s Health City and next to the Mater Private Hospital.Aveo is currently home to 13,000 residents in 90 retirement villages across Australia.
April 28, 2020 “We were planning on being here a week, and we’ve been here two months now,” he said Tuesday.Niumatalolo arrived for spring break at the beginning of March, and when the pandemic shutdown began he and his family decided to stay. He has a home in Hawaii and is there with his wife, his daughter and her family, and one of his two sons.“This is a pretty bad time, but we’re OK,” he said. “It’s actually a blessing to be together.”___The 2021 PGA Championship at Kiawah Island’s Ocean Course is delaying the start of ticket sales until August. Swin Cash and Kyle Korver are among the guests on the debut of a new NBA weekly roundtable series that will discuss how minority communities are being impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.The roundtable will be shown on the NBA’s Twitter page. Former NBA player Caron Butler will host.The roundtable coincides with several teams and players directing efforts to help meet the needs of those neighborhoods.Cash was a three-time WNBA champion player and now is the vice president of basketball operations for the New Orleans Pelicans.She says players “have really just tried to focus in on saying, ‘Look, we want to help the people that are losing their jobs, but we also know that there is a serious crisis dealing with the African-American and minority community.’” Rugby officials are waiting to see what rules the government sets out following the end of lockdown before definitively deciding if a resumption is possible in the country’s top league.___Athletes in track and field can apply for money from a $500,000 fund to help them get through the coronavirus pandemic.World Athletics and the International Athletics Foundation have launched the fund to help athletes who have lost income because competitions are suspended.World Athletics president Sebastian Coe says the fund will try “to help as many athletes as possible.” ___The French government says the rest of the soccer and rugby seasons won’t be completed because of the coronavirus pandemic.Prime Minister Edouard Philippe says “the 2019-20 season of professional sport … won’t be able to resume.”The top two divisions in French soccer both had 10 league games left to play. Rugby’s Top 14 league had reached the semifinal stage.France is expected to end its lockdown on May 11. Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt says the school will cut nearly $7 million from the athletic budget in the upcoming school year, including eliminating performance bonuses for himself and Red Raiders coaches.The cuts are needed because of the economic shutdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic, and deeper cuts may be needed if college football can’t play a full season, Hocutt told A-J Media in Lubbock, Texas.Hocutt did not say the school was cutting any jobs or sports. Most of the cuts will come from reducing administrative and operational expenses. Eliminating the bonuses for the coaches and himself will save nearly $2 million, he said.“The starting point here is simply we’re not spending any money right now that we don’t have to, and we’re not spending much,” Hocutt said.___ Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez says “basic” training for professional athletes will be permitted beginning Monday. It’s the start of the first phase of the plan aimed at easing the lockdown measures that have been in place since March 14.High-performance sports facilities will be allowed to reopen in the second phase of the plan, which will begin as early as May 11, depending on the situation in each province.Sánchez did not say when sports competitions, such as the domestic soccer league, are expected to resume. The Spanish league has said it doesn’t plan to restart before the end of May. The league has already sent clubs a detailed protocol with safety guidelines on how to return to practice.___The Sugar Bowl Committee is donating $500,000 to several organizations in an effort to help soften the financial hardship caused by the new coronavirus in the New Orleans area. The money will go to assist the Second Harvest Food Bank, the Greater New Orleans Foundation’s Service and Hospitality Family Assistance Fund and the Hospitality Cares Pandemic Response Fund, which is managed by United Way of Southeastern Louisiana.“This organization’s primary mission is to generate tourism through amateur athletics,” Sugar Bowl Committee President Ralph Capitelli said Tuesday. “With the COVID-19 outbreak, we’re temporarily on hold, but that doesn’t mean we can sit on the sidelines. With this donation, our aim is to help people in need, especially those in the hospitality industry whose livelihoods have been so negatively impacted by the coronavirus.”The Sugar Bowl was founded in 1934, partly as a response to the Great Depression, and first played on Jan. 1, 1935. It started as the marquee event in a New Orleans-area economic development initiative launching a midwinter carnival of sporting events. ___The Atlantic Coast Conference will bring its men’s basketball tournament back to Greensboro, North Carolina in 2023 after this year’s tournament there was canceled near the midway point due to the coronavirus pandemic. The maker of Louisville Slugger baseball bats for Wilson Sporting Goods is producing non-medical masks to help benefit food banks.Louisville-based Hillerich & Bradsby Co. says in a release its Maskonic masks are reusable, water repellent and treated with a bactericide that lasts for up to 10 washes. Inspired by its Bionic gloves line, company president and CEO John Hillerich said, “this was a natural progression, particularly in a time of global crisis.” He cited the need for protective equipment in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and added that H&B has channeled its production and supply chain toward making masks for the public.Maskonic will sell the masks online at www.maskonic.com and www.bionicgloves.com with free shipping. Partial proceeds from sales will go to Feeding America food banks. The 164-year-old company is also shipping masks to its employees. ___Navy football coach Ken Niumatalolo is waiting out the coronavirus pandemic with his family in his native Hawaii. Associated Press The league announced the move Tuesday.The ACC is headquartered in Greensboro, which has hosted the tournament 27 times, the most of any location. Last month’s event was canceled after two days of play, with regular-season champion Florida State being presented the tournament championship trophy in accordance with league bylaws without even playing a game.In a statement, commissioner John Swofford said returning to Greensboro in 2023 was “the right thing to do” while calling the relationship between the ACC and the city “extremely special.”The ACC Tournament will be held in Washington next year and in Brooklyn in 2022.___ He’s just not sure when it will start or how it will look.“At some point in time, whether it’s fall or spring … or if it’s shortened, we’re talking about five, six, seven, eight different options right now,” Patterson said during a Zoom call with media on Tuesday.Some states, including Texas, are beginning to loosen stay-at-home restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic, though procedures will vary in different regions of the country in the weeks and months to come.“I think one thing’s for sure: I think it will be really hard to get 100% of everybody on the same page,” Patterson said. “So I think things will have to be done with the majority before it’s said and done.” ___ Tickets were originally set to go on sale to those who registered online in May. Instead, PGA Championship tournament director Scott Reid said that with the world grappling with the coronavirus pandemic it was not appropriate to ask potential spectators to make purchasing decisions at this time. The tournament said the 2021 event remains set for its May dates. This year’s PGA Championship in San Francisco was moved from its original dates next month to early August.___The Spanish government says professional athletes in the country can resume training individually next week.The government made the announcement while revealing a four-phase plan to get the country back to normal following the coronavirus outbreak. The Latest: TCU coach optimistic 2020 season will be played The end of player contracts on June 30 will be honored.Boca Juniors won the title shortly before the AFA suspended all soccer on March 15.How teams qualify for the 2021 Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana is also to be resolved.Tapia tells TNT Sports “everyone wants to play again when we can, and if we have to play in January because we couldn’t do it earlier in the year, we will.”___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___TCU coach Gary Patterson, president of the American Football Coaches Association, says his level of optimism is “very high” that there will be a 2020 college football season. It’s unclear when or if the track season can begin. Diamond League meets and the Olympics have been postponed.Coe says the fund was the idea of 1,500-meter world record holder Hicham El Guerrouj. The Moroccan runner will be part of the team examining applications from athletes.___The end of the Argentine league soccer season is expected to be ratified by the national association executive committee.AFA president Claudio Tapia says there will be no relegation until 2022 to ease club finances burdened by the coronavirus pandemic. ___The French Rugby Federation has announced a support package worth 35 million euros ($38 million) to help ease the financial concerns of its amateur clubs during the coronavirus pandemic.Amateur rugby competitions in France were canceled for the season on March 27 after strict social measures were put in place to deal with the outbreak.The FFR has now arranged a package that will see 14 million euros ($15 million) go to clubs to cover losses and fees for this season and a further 21 million euros ($22.5 million) for the 2020-21 season.It means they will not have to pay for such things as insurance costs and license fees. More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6
Premier League players could face the prospect of playing games nine days before the start of the 2022 winter World Cup in Qatar.Draft plans have been shared between clubs outlining the Premier League schedule around the tournament, being held from 21 November to 18 December.Fixtures could take place on 12 November and resume on 26 December, eight days after the final. The season would also kick off one week earlier and finish a week later.It means that there would be only six weekends without Premier League games.The issue will be discussed at the next Premier League shareholders’ meeting in November.It is understood that Championship games will not take place during the World Cup, but the break for the second tier might not be as long as in the Premier League.Leagues One and Two will continue during the tournament.Any such proposals would clash with national associations’ plans, given they usually allow several weeks for their players to prepare for the tournament.A winter break will be introduced to the Premier League for the first time this season in order to give players a rest.But it has been suggested that will be scrapped in the 2022-23 season, raising questions about player fatigue.UEFA has said a decision on the scheduling of that season’s Champions League and Europa League will not be made until 2021.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram