‘Alisson is a big loss for Liverpool & Brazil’

first_imgAlisson will prove to be a “big loss” for both Liverpool and Brazil while he recovers from a calf injury, according to Kleberson.The 26-year-old was forced off the pitch midway through the first half of Liverpool’s 4-1 opening day victory over Norwich on August 9, with no word yet on when he will return to the senior fold.Reds’ summer signing Adrian filled in for the Brazilian in subsequent wins over Chelsea and Southampton, in the UEFA Super Cup final and Premier League, respectively, with Jurgen Klopp likely to stick with the Spaniard over the next few weeks. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? With the international break just around the corner, it is not yet known whether or not Alisson will be fit enough to play a part in friendlies against Columbia and Peru.Kleberson, part of Brazil’s 2002 World Cup winning squad, insists that the shot-stopper’s absence will be felt by Tite and Klopp while he continues his recovery. Based in the UK? Grab a Sky Sports Day Pass for just £8.99!The ex-Manchester United midfielder told us-bookies.com: “For goalkeepers, it’s never easy when they get injuries. Allison gives a lot of positives and confidence to the Liverpool defence. So it’s a big loss for them and the Brazil national team too.”Ederson is the same level but of course Allison is a big name. It’s not easy at the beginning of the season because players prepare a lot for a strong, solid season. He’s got to rest now and start again, so he’ll be behind the other keepers.”One man who is likely to retain a place in the latest Selecao squad is Manchester City’s Gabriel Jesus, who has started the new season with a point to prove.The 22-year-old scored during City’s 5-0 win against West Ham before being denied the winning goal by VAR in a thrilling 2-2 draw at Tottenham last weekend.Kleberson hopes he can play a huge role for Pep Guardiola’s squad this term, having helped Brazil lift the Copa America earlier this summer.“Gabriel Jesus is a talented player,” he added. “He is still figuring out his place with Manchester City and has scored good goals with some brilliant performances. After his injuries, he was a bit inconsistent but it’s a new season and I am so happy for him how he did in the Copa America.”I hope he has a great season with Manchester City. It’s not easy for him because they have great players, so he has to keep consistent.”Liverpool resume their Premier League duties with a home clash against Arsenal on Saturday, while City take in a trip to Bournemouth on Sunday. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the weblast_img read more

Nike ‘deeply concerned’ by ‘disturbing’ Ronaldo rape claims

first_img Share: By ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer Share: Breaking its silence on the alleged assault, Juventus strongly backed its most expensive star in a Twitter statement.“Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus,” the Italian league champions said. “The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion.” LONDON  — Pressure built on Cristiano Ronaldo from his sponsors Thursday after Nike joined EA Sports in expressing its deep concern with the rape allegation facing the soccer star.The five-time world player of the year has denied the claim. Late Thursday night, he received public backing from his Italian club, Juventus, shortly after Nike issued its statement to The Associated Press.Nike has had a contract with the 33-year-old Ronaldo, one of the wealthiest and most famous soccer players in the world, since 2003. The latest terms signed in 2016 are worth a reported $1 billion and Ronaldo has suggested that it was a deal “for life.”But the Beaverton, Oregon-based apparel maker is troubled by the details emerging in a lawsuit filed last week in a Nevada state court by a woman who alleges she was raped by Ronaldo in Las Vegas in 2009. Published: October 4, 2018, 11:53am GO Nike ‘deeply concerned’ by ‘disturbing’ Ronaldo rape claims By signing up you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation,” Nike said in an emailed statement to the AP.Ronaldo wears Nike boots and appears in its advertising.The Portugal captain is also the face of the EA Sports FIFA video game franchise, appearing on the cover of the 2019 game that was released worldwide last week.“We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo,” EA Sports told the AP. “We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values.”Whereas other players might be winding down their careers at 33, Ronaldo is still in demand by leading clubs around the world. Ronaldo made the third big transfer of this career in July, leaving Real Madrid after nine years for Juventus, a move that cost the Italian club 112 million euros (then $132 million). Receive latest stories and local news in your email:last_img read more