Nike ‘deeply concerned’ by ‘disturbing’ Ronaldo rape claims

first_img Share: By ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer Share: Breaking its silence on the alleged assault, Juventus strongly backed its most expensive star in a Twitter statement.“Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus,” the Italian league champions said. “The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion.” LONDON  — Pressure built on Cristiano Ronaldo from his sponsors Thursday after Nike joined EA Sports in expressing its deep concern with the rape allegation facing the soccer star.The five-time world player of the year has denied the claim. Late Thursday night, he received public backing from his Italian club, Juventus, shortly after Nike issued its statement to The Associated Press.Nike has had a contract with the 33-year-old Ronaldo, one of the wealthiest and most famous soccer players in the world, since 2003. The latest terms signed in 2016 are worth a reported $1 billion and Ronaldo has suggested that it was a deal “for life.”But the Beaverton, Oregon-based apparel maker is troubled by the details emerging in a lawsuit filed last week in a Nevada state court by a woman who alleges she was raped by Ronaldo in Las Vegas in 2009. Published: October 4, 2018, 11:53am GO Nike ‘deeply concerned’ by ‘disturbing’ Ronaldo rape claims By signing up you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation,” Nike said in an emailed statement to the AP.Ronaldo wears Nike boots and appears in its advertising.The Portugal captain is also the face of the EA Sports FIFA video game franchise, appearing on the cover of the 2019 game that was released worldwide last week.“We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo,” EA Sports told the AP. “We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values.”Whereas other players might be winding down their careers at 33, Ronaldo is still in demand by leading clubs around the world. Ronaldo made the third big transfer of this career in July, leaving Real Madrid after nine years for Juventus, a move that cost the Italian club 112 million euros (then $132 million). Receive latest stories and local news in your email:last_img read more

Irish journalist Declan Walsh ordered to leave Pakistan

first_imgIRISH JOURNALIST DECLAN Walsh has been ordered to leave Pakistan where he has been working as the New York Times’ bureau chief for the past year.The order came last Thursday on the eve of today’s national elections with the deadline for his departure falling later today. He has confirmed he will comply with the order.Pakistan’s Interior Ministry has confirmed the expulsion order but has not explained the reasons for it beyond Walsh’s “undesirable activities”.Walsh is a veteran correspondent in Pakistan where he has previously worked for The Guardian before joining the New York Times in January 2012.He has previously worked for the Sunday Business Post and the UCD student newspaper The University Observer.According to the New York Times, Walsh was out on a social visit on Thursday evening when he received a call ordering him to return to his home in Islamabad where he was handed the expulsion order.The paper reports the order as stating: “It is informed that your visa is hereby canceled in view of your undesirable activities. You are therefore advised to leave the country within 72 hours.”The New York Times executive editor Jill Abramson has sent a letter of protest to Pakistan’s interior minister describing Walsh as “reporter of integrity who has at all times offered balanced, nuanced and factual reporting on Pakistan” and requesting that his visa be reinstated.Today Walsh has been tweeting about the elections in Pakistan with pictures from polling stations in Lahore but has confirmed that he will comply with the expulsion order and leave the country tonight.Read: 11 dead in Karachi bomb blast as voting takes place in Pakistanlast_img read more